Select to view content in your preferred language

Large Geometries in IE9

Jump to solution
01-29-2014 10:32 AM
AlexeiB
Occasional Contributor
I am working with retrieving very large geometries from a FeatureLayer via query. I have it now retrieving one large geometry at a time by applying a WHERE clause on the query. Everything is working well in IE11, Firefox, and Chrome but when I run the software in IE9, it takes a VERY long time, the browser becomes unresponsive and most often just freezes and crashes the browser.

Does anyone have an idea how I can resolve the issue?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor II
Having analyzed the issue, I tend to agree. I've done an envelope around the complex geometry (A LOT of point) to simplify the geometry (to reduce the point count) and it's working well.

Any other ideas on the issue?

How are you retrieving your geometry? Feature layer? Query task? Feature layers, by default use maxAllowableOffset to request generalized geometries (see the "feature generalization" section). If you're using a query task, you can manually set the maxAllowableOffset on your instance of query according to the info in the aforelinked article.

The one semi-common place where this breaks down is when you request a very large feature (for instance, Canada's national boundary) but are at a large scale. The geometry that comes back will be huge and cover the entire map and can potentially slow down older browsers (including IE9).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
i believe this is just a performance issue in IE9.

There isn't a fix, so to speak, as it is just a limitation.

However to improve responsiveness, you could try simplifying the geometries
0 Kudos
AlexeiB
Occasional Contributor
Having analyzed the issue, I tend to agree. I've done an envelope around the complex geometry (A LOT of point) to simplify the geometry (to reduce the point count) and it's working well.

0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor II

How are you retrieving your geometry? Feature layer? Query task? Feature layers, by default use maxAllowableOffset to request generalized geometries (see the "feature generalization" section). If you're using a query task, you can manually set the maxAllowableOffset on your instance of query according to the info in the aforelinked article.

The one semi-common place where this breaks down is when you request a very large feature (for instance, Canada's national boundary) but are at a large scale. The geometry that comes back will be huge and cover the entire map and can potentially slow down older browsers (including IE9).
0 Kudos
AlexeiB
Occasional Contributor
Thank you for your response Derek. I've looked into the ideas you provided but because I do indeed have a very large polygon being drawn, none of them worked. For this purpose, I was able to re-work my DB to simplify the shapes a little and it seems to be working.

Good thing to keep in mind though.

Thanks,

Alex
0 Kudos