Select to view content in your preferred language

How to create rest service and consume in arcgis javascript using oracle database

06-05-2015 04:18 AM
SadanandacharB1
Occasional Contributor

How to create rest service and consume in arcgis javascript  using oracle database, I am new to this concept Please give me some example code to learn

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Honored Contributor

Sadanandachar,

It looks like most of the Oracle questions go unanswered on Geonet (from what I saw at least). I hope this helps:

arcgis server - Connect ESRI Feature Service to Oracle Spatial database - Geographic Information Sys...

See the edited answer - "csd" gives some info on how to do this with ArcGIS Server/Oracle:

EDIT: If I understand your comment correctly, you have an existing Oracle Spatial instance. And you have (or will have) an existing ArcGIS Server install. And you want ArcGIS Server to view the data in Oracle without having to install ArcSDE (and its associated database objects) on your Oracle instance.

Yeah, I think you could get the data OUT of Oracle. That would go like this:

• You'd have to set up Oracle client on your ArcGIS Server machine(s). See here.
  • You'd have to set up Oracle client on your ArcGIS Desktop machines.
  • You'd have to register your Oracle instance with ArcGIS Server so that any feature services you deploy will get their data direct from Oracle (rather than having their data copied upon deployment).See here.

After that you could make ArcGIS Server map and feature services that view the data.

Those services would probably not be editable through ArcGIS, though. Geodatabase editing in ArcGIS seems to need those extra ArcSDE metadata tables. (But I'm not an expert on that corner of the ArcGIS software, so maybe someone else would say different.)

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sadanandachar,

Here is a full sample. The attached zip contains a Visual Studio 2013 project (VB.net RESTfull web service) that connects to an Oracle Express Database (my test database contains a States  and a Counties table). The REST service returns json for all US States and a second endpoint that returns County names for a specific State.

In the Zip you will find a JS API sample that uses the RESTfull service to populate a State combobox and when choosing the state the map will zoom to the states extent and then populate the county combobox with the counties that match the selected state.

Also in the zip you will find the the states.txt and counties.txt files that you can import into your Oracle XE (if you just want to test the webservice as is).

I have this RESTfull service and JS app running on my dev laptop and it works well.

PS.  just remember this is a GIS forum so please don't ask .net development questions here.