graphics layers not displayed in IE8 (and lower)

10-11-2012 02:44 AM
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
I have a web application that seems to work fine in current era browsers, but when testing it in Internet Explorer 8 (IE8, IE7 and IE6) my graphics layers are not displayed - I have graphics for highlighted items from search for instance, and a rectangle box that I want drawn. These are on top separate layers.

Any tips on how I can make these display?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
Hi,
I have a web application that seems to work fine in current era browsers, but when testing it in Internet Explorer 8 (IE8, IE7 and IE6) my graphics layers are not displayed - I have graphics for highlighted items from search for instance, and a rectangle box that I want drawn. These are on top separate layers.

Any tips on how I can make these display?

IE uses VML, and does not support SVG.  Are you manually setting your renderer?

Please post your code.
0 Kudos
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
Did you try to tweak the page compatibility settings in IE? Hit F12 to bring up the dev toolbar and try to change the compat mode. If you find a mode that works you can use a tag like

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8" />

in your browser page to force IE down.
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
IE uses VML, and does not support SVG.  Are you manually setting your renderer?
Please post your code.

Jeff, I am not setting the render manually - I assumed the api/dojo would do that automatically, is that not the case? The map works fine in IE9.

Kevin - I have tried IE7 and IE8 compat level, maybe I need to play with it a bit more...
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
the api does, just making sure you did not override it.

I use

<!DOCTYPE html>

and

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7,IE=9" />

we do not support IE6.
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Fixed it - I worked on trying to isolate the problem, and I found that there were some lines with non IE8 compatible javascript that caused the map.onLoad clause to trip up, and that lead to the graphics not being shown.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
there were some lines with non IE8 compatible javascript that caused the map.onLoad clause to trip up, and that lead to the graphics not being shown.

For the sake of completeness, can you post the JavaScript that was causing the problem?
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
For the sake of completeness, can you post the JavaScript that was causing the problem?

It is not so important what it was, it seems like I tried to call a method in the DOM that IE8 didn't support - I did a getElementsByClassName on a DOM node (from dojo.byId() )

Thanks all for the input!
0 Kudos