GeoRSS examples not working

Jump to solution
09-26-2012 05:12 AM
ManishGonsalves
New Contributor
I have been trying out the GeoRSS example listed here (http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/samples/layers_georss/index.html). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work as expected. The external GeoRSS file is accessible in the browser directly. The data from the file is however not getting displayed on the base map as polygons or points.   Is there any browser side setting that I have to do to get it working? The documentation doesn't say anything apart from ensuring that the GeoRSS file be publicly accessible.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for all your replies. The fix works as expected. In addition, the entire thread answered a lot of questions I had around using GeoRSS for displaying a customized layer on top of a Base Map.

Glad we could help!
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor

The only way to use the KML and GeoRSS layers will be through this hard-coded online service

Our KMLLayer and GeoRSSLayer are not the only way, but they're the simplest, most straightforward way and it's what we recommend.

Even people who have their own purchased installation of Portal won't be able to point the layers at it

No, I said the opposite of that:  if you purchase Portal, it includes these services and you do not need to use the KML and GeoRSS utility services hosted by Esri as you will have your own services running on your intranet.
0 Kudos
__Rich_
Occasional Contributor III
Our KMLLayer and GeoRSSLayer are not the only way, but they're the simplest, most straightforward way and it's what we recommend.

No, I said the opposite of that:  if you purchase Portal, it includes these services and you do not need to use the KML and GeoRSS utility services hosted by Esri as you will have your own services running on your intranet.

I should have been more specific earlier, I'll try again:

If we do have a local Portal install how do we point the JS API at it?  (so that the KML and GeoRSS layers use it, which settings do we change?)
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
I should have been more specific earlier, I'll try again:

If we do have a local Portal install how do we point the JS API at it?  (so that the KML and GeoRSS layers use it, which settings do we change?)

Good point. We'll likely end up doc'ing these config settings.

Also, the service URL on arcgis.com has been updated so no need to use the work around I posted previously and the GeoRSS Layer sample is working.
0 Kudos
__Rich_
Occasional Contributor III
Good point. We'll likely end up doc'ing these config settings.

Thanks for the response, yep, that's what I was getting at - that's good news 🙂
0 Kudos