Select to view content in your preferred language

Find layer geometry type

08-15-2011 04:01 AM
BabbageOcelot
New Contributor
Hello all,

I may just be being dim on a Monday afternoon, but I can't seem to find any way of finding a layer's specified geometry type. This is shown in the REST endpoint as "Geometry Type: esriGeometryPoint"; unfortunately it doesn't seem to be exposed in either the Layer properties, or in the layerInfos object.

What I need to do is create a custom-symbolised featureLayer on the fly, and in order for that to work I need to know the geometry present in this particular layer.

Sadly, I can't use layerDefinitions (which would be far more appropriate).

Any ideas?

- Ben
0 Kudos
13 Replies
StephanieSnider
Occasional Contributor III
It is a corrupt mxd that the msd was based on.  I partially recreated the mxd (for the offending layers) and now all the blank geometry types are defined as "esriGeometryPoint".  All is right with the world.  🙂
0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
It is a corrupt mxd that the msd was based on

For what it's worth, I've noticed an intermittent problem with that happening, too.

I believe it's possibly something to do with exporting from an MXD to an MSD which already exists. I've found the problem doesn't seem to occur as often if I delete the MSD first, then export the MXD - but I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably.

Cheers,
Steve
0 Kudos
JamesLandwehr
New Contributor III
I just came across this problem as well. I deleted the .msd and recreated it and was still unable to get the esriGeometryPoint to be exposed. Will continue to work on it and post a solution if/when I find one.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
Just ruling it out, but does the same error occur pointing to the mxd instead of the msd? that would at least focus the msd as the error.

Is the data layer by chance a spatial view?
0 Kudos