Select to view content in your preferred language

Dynamically change the infotemplate on a feature layer

Jump to solution
01-29-2016 11:50 AM
JasonLevine
Occasional Contributor II

I have a feature layer that I've constructed from a url, and have applied a feature template to it to display a popup when a feature is clicked.  I also have a feature layer that I've constructed from a feature collection object (not a url) that I have applied a separate infotemplate to.  For the latter, the infotemplate displays data in a popup window for, let's say, fields X, Y, and Z; this looks something like: featureLayer.setInfoTemplate(new InfoTemplate('$X','Name: $Y <br/>Type: $Z'));  This displays a popup where the value for X is displayed as the title, and the contents are values for Y and Z.  However, sometimes the value for Y is an empty string, and when this occurs, I'd like to not display field Y in my popup.  How can I check for the value of Y when the feature is clicked so that I can dynamically alter the infotemplate to not show Y if it is an empty string?

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

You need to use a function for setting the content of your infoTemplate.  If you search the forum for infotemplate.setcontent, I'm sure you'll find several examples.  I end up using a function over half the time.  Instead of using ${fieldName}, you'll use graphic.attributes.fieldName.  The function can get quite long, depending on the number of attributes and how many you're checking for empty values.

var myInfoTemplate  = new InfoTemplate("your Title");

myInfoTemplate.setContent(generateInfoContent);

function generateInfoContent(graphic) {

var formatString = "myFieldName:" + graphic.attributes.X;

var checkY = graphic.attributes.Y;

//only appends if there is a value for attribute 'Y'

if (checkY} {

formatString += checkY;

}

formatString += graphic.attributes.Z;

return formatString;

}

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

You need to use a function for setting the content of your infoTemplate.  If you search the forum for infotemplate.setcontent, I'm sure you'll find several examples.  I end up using a function over half the time.  Instead of using ${fieldName}, you'll use graphic.attributes.fieldName.  The function can get quite long, depending on the number of attributes and how many you're checking for empty values.

var myInfoTemplate  = new InfoTemplate("your Title");

myInfoTemplate.setContent(generateInfoContent);

function generateInfoContent(graphic) {

var formatString = "myFieldName:" + graphic.attributes.X;

var checkY = graphic.attributes.Y;

//only appends if there is a value for attribute 'Y'

if (checkY} {

formatString += checkY;

}

formatString += graphic.attributes.Z;

return formatString;

}

JasonLevine
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Tracy, that's exactly what I needed!  I didn't realize you could feed a function into setContent.

-Jason

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I don't think it's well documented at all, for something so versatile.  It makes me wonder what else we're overlooking!

0 Kudos