Select to view content in your preferred language

Disable Vector Tiling

12-16-2014 03:00 PM
MattPratap
Deactivated User

Is there any way to disable the Vector Tiling process in 3.11 ?

Often my map users need to have up to 6 feature layers added to the map (not too many features in each one) but due to vector tiling, up to 60 requests are sent for every extent change, no matter how little the map moved.

Sure, status 304 responses come back, but the huge number of requests are choking the server and adding lots of latency for the responses (up to 10 seconds sometimes to get all the 304's responses.) (compounding this is that browsers have a limit of concurrent connections to one server. eg 15, so requests wait until connections are available)

I would rather have 6 requests, one for each featurelayer, for the current extent of the map.

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HeikoHeijenga
Esri Contributor

Can you use SNAPSHOT mode on the feature layers?

0 Kudos
MattPratap
Deactivated User

Unfortunately, I cant, since there are tens of thousands of features in each FeatureLayer, but the layers are only visible at a certain zoom level, at which there are only perhaps dozens of features for each layer shown on the map.  (the user is only working with a reasonable amount of features on the map.)

Hope that makes sense?

0 Kudos
HeikoHeijenga
Esri Contributor

hmmm, too bad, as disabling tiling on an on-demand FeatureLayer is not possible. What surprises me though is that you see such bad performance. It shouldn't be a problem to serve 60 request (from cache) in a couple of ms. If you have control over the server it might be a good to look into some tuning on that end.

0 Kudos
MattPratap
Deactivated User

The server is at a remote location (very slow vpn connection), and the latency is very high.

One problem is that Chrome has a limit of 6 concurrent connections (for the whole browser), and I had 2 gmails open which used two of the connections.  So chrome was queuing all 60 requests with 4 connections serving the queue. (I can see in the network trace window how the requests were getting stacked up.)

Would be nice to have an option to disable vector tiling.

0 Kudos