ArcGIS Viewer for Javascript - Application Builder

01-06-2012 11:58 AM
AdamDrackley1
New Contributor II
As we're seeing new Builder applications be released for the Silverlight and Flex Viewers, are there any rumblings of plans to release one for Javascript?  I'm aware that ArcGIS.com has a JS Web Application Builder, but the Silverlight Builder has the great ability to integrate custom-created widgets (Add-ins) into generated applications.  Has anyone seen/heard anything about a user-friendly way of spinning up Javascript API Web Apps with the option of including Custom Widgets?
0 Kudos
30 Replies
KevinMacLeod1
Occasional Contributor III

Many customers like federal agencies and large client companies, are sophisticated.  They know what  a TOC is.  They want it.  They are ultimately the ones paying ESRI.  

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

K M,

OK, I hear you but can you tell me what TOC ability is it that you want that is not already a part of the Layer List widget (As a widget developer I am curious)?

0 Kudos
KevinMacLeod1

Robert, I stand completely corrected.  Thank you for prompting me to look further at this.  This is wonderful, there is a TOC! Yay!  It's much like ags toc although it is a different source code base apparently.  Excellent. I'll also investigate adding more widgets to Header.  Hm this is looking better.  Also I am reading the stuff on JSON in the Docs.    I just didn't dive into it too far as soon as I saw what apppeared to be the Builder forcing us to ArcGIS.com services still, and no place to put our own REST link.  For the sake of looking at the TOC I loaded a ArcGIS.com map and yes the TOC is great.  Not quite as good as AGS but good.  Things AGS does better: has transparency slider (optional), and it turns off checkboxes when a parent checkbox is turned off.  But great work with the TOC, keep it up.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

K M,

Sure thing. Don't forget to mark replies as helpful, by using the actions menu on discussion posts. Refer to this document for help if needed. How to help in the new GeoNet Community

KevinMacLeod1

OK the more I explore this, I'm getting seriously interested.  One thing I'd add either if I do it or someone else does is to put a Nav widget in (previous extent, forward to next extent) and a buffer tool.  Although I guess that could be created with the Geoprocessing widget.  I'll read up on widget dev, but so far the documentation looks pretty thorough and more importantly, it seems to actually encourage "widgets" in a standard way.  I always disliked how blocks of code on the JS API page were called Widgets.  Yes I know the Dojo term and it loosely applies.  But to me, a widget is a completely independent block of code that provides a functionality (i.e. Draw) and is EASY to add to your project. No mucking around with scoping, variable names, etc.  It just works.  Like in Flash.  You want a Widget?  Download it to the Widgets folder, turn it on in config, and you're done.  There is no step 3.

A big question:  So, Query Widget.  It executes pre-defined Queries.  That is good.  But, could ESRI consider enhancing this widget, in order to allow end users to construct their OWN queries?  Basically, just expose the interface that we see as developers, to construct the queries.  That would be exponentially more useful.  I can see adding only a handful of preset queries before it gets to be "too much".  But almost every user might have a unique query they would want, and perhaps a different kind of query every day even, depending on what they need to know.

Also how do we add our own REST endpoints.  We want nothing to do with ArcGIS.com at least for some of our viewers.  (We have an org account and like it but it can not be used for certain kinds of data and viewers)

Also I'd recommend at least as an option to display each line segment or each side with its own measured length dimension, in Draw.  Like the old Draw in Simple Viewer or the Flash/Flex Draw/Measure widget.  So if you draw a rectangle for example, it has the length of each side on it as text labels.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

K M,

You should join this group and post these questions and enhancement there:

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS

Robert

0 Kudos
KevinMacLeod1

Aaaah you are THE Robert Scheitlin!  You created so, so many useful Flex widgets, I now remember.  It seems with this web builder widget dev is becoming more powerful in that it is becoming easier to "install" widgets so to speak, in this Web Builder platform.  Very glad to see you're interested in this Web Builder platform.  With you and other high-powered devs on board, I think we'll see any widgets ESRI does not include out of the box will spring forth from the community.  For example, that sweet Streetview/Bing oblique widget of yesteryear in Flash. And other great stuff from the Common Operating Picture Flex viewer and other Flex widgets and concepts.   Just wanted to say thank you for giving me the drive to go back and look closer at this web builder.  I'm going to look at it in more depth in the coming weeks.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

K M,

I think that the Web App Builder will catch on just as well and even possibly better than the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex as it will be integrated into ArcGIS Server 10.3 and Portal. I am already getting geared up on widget development and I have started a group Web App Builder Custom Widgets‌ for custom widgets.

Robert

0 Kudos
KevinMacLeod1

Thank you I'll join. And hopefully someday I'll be able to contribute something good in terms of a widget or code enhancement!

0 Kudos
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

A big question:  So, Query Widget.  It executes pre-defined Queries.  That is good.  But, could ESRI consider enhancing this widget, in order to allow end users to construct their OWN queries?  Basically, just expose the interface that we see as developers, to construct the queries.  That would be exponentially more useful.  I can see adding only a handful of preset queries before it gets to be "too much".  But almost every user might have a unique query they would want, and perhaps a different kind of query every day even, depending on what they need to know.

This is so important! and so needed right now!!!

0 Kudos