Select to view content in your preferred language

Arcgis Server 10.2.2 with SQL 2008 Express

Jump to solution
06-10-2015 11:13 PM
bijupanicker
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

As part of setting ArcGIS Server for development purposes we have setup ArcGIS Server 10.2.2, Enterprise Advance, at development server Windows 2008 Server. SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is also installed on the same server.Have also created spatial database and data source is also registered with the server.

Have published 3 services using the spatial database Service1, Service2 & Service3. The services are pooled services. Had published these services via a .mxd document from ArcGIS Desktop Advanced.Spatial database connectivity\authentication is windows based(i.e.operating system based) as i understand.. it is the only option with SQL Server express edition.

I have also made a javascript api based web application which displays the services as map, user can navigate & use info tools..just a basic web viewer application

Have couple of doubts\issues regarding this setup which i am facing

1. Once all the 3 services are started on the server i am not able to open the .mxd ( through ArcGIS Desktop)   or make any further database connection to the spatial database server( in ArcGIS Desktop Catalog). After analyzing the error\message which i get is "Maximum number of connections to instance exceeded"

2. When using the web application, on zoomin in\out, navigating the application frequently becomes unresponsive. Upon going through ArcGIS Server log, i got to know that i am frequently getting the error  "There is an error during the draw xxxxxx The base table definition string "xxxxxxx" is invalid,(4.) Maximum number of connections to instance exceeded".

Looking at some blogs i changed CONNECTIONS to 100 in the table SDE_server_config but still no difference

What i would like to know is

1.Is there any issue in the setup which i have made?

2.The error which i am getting..are they because of setup\deployment issues or restrictions of express version of  SQL Server? and what can be done to rectify\overcome them

3.What is the no of user limit in the setup what i have. user limits in terms of user from ArcGIS Desktop & Web users concurrent or otherwise

Any insight\ help is appreciated

thanks

regards

Biju

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Biju,

It appears you setup up the Database Server without registering it using the ArcGIS for Server Workgroup license.  Take a look at the following link:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

With ArcGIS for Desktop (Standard and Advanced) and ArcGIS Engine, you can set up a database server and create geodatabases that can be accessed by a few users and edited by one user at a time.

With ArcGIS for Server Workgroup using , you can set up a database server and create geodatabases from within ArcGIS for Desktop that can be accessed by up to 10 users at a time, all of whom can be editing concurrently. When using the database servers licensed through ArcGIS for Server Workgroup, you can also connect to the geodatabases using Web applications, for which there is no connection limit.

You will want to set up your Database Server using ArcGIS for Server Workgroup.  You will then have up to 10 simultaneous connections to your database rather than just 3. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Biju,

It appears you setup up the Database Server without registering it using the ArcGIS for Server Workgroup license.  Take a look at the following link:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

With ArcGIS for Desktop (Standard and Advanced) and ArcGIS Engine, you can set up a database server and create geodatabases that can be accessed by a few users and edited by one user at a time.

With ArcGIS for Server Workgroup using , you can set up a database server and create geodatabases from within ArcGIS for Desktop that can be accessed by up to 10 users at a time, all of whom can be editing concurrently. When using the database servers licensed through ArcGIS for Server Workgroup, you can also connect to the geodatabases using Web applications, for which there is no connection limit.

You will want to set up your Database Server using ArcGIS for Server Workgroup.  You will then have up to 10 simultaneous connections to your database rather than just 3. 

bijupanicker
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the prompt response

As pointed out by you i have indeed done the registration via ArcGIS Desktop. I will do that using Arc GIS Server.

Will get back once i have worked on your suggestion

thanks once again

regards

Biju

0 Kudos
bijupanicker
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jake,

Made changes as per your advice..everything working fine now. Really appreciate you taking time to answer the query

thanks a lot

regards

Biju

0 Kudos