Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Javascript API 4.29 SearchWidget causes jagged lines around curves

Jump to solution
a month ago
TomNicoski
New Contributor II

After moving from 4.28 to 4.29 I get the jagged lines (see attached) while doing a normal search.  It does straighten up in a few seconds. The only thing that fixes it to date is changing back to  4.28.  Has anyone else run into this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoelBennett
MVP Regular Contributor

This may not be an issue specific the Search widget since the same behavior can be observed without it.  It seems to be a matter of zooming in on a FeatureLayer several levels at once.  For example, below are some roads that appear this way after zooming from level 16 to level 19.

roads1.png

Here's what it looks like a second or two later after it refreshes:

roads2.png

This is the result of a tradeoff the SDK makes for efficient operation.  When rendering a feature layer, it requests a generalized (i.e. less detailed) copy of the features' geometry that will still appear the same at the scale you're viewing, while sending less data over the network.  For example, my roads looked fine at level 16; it wasn't until I viewed that same geometry at level 19 that it appeared less detailed.  Once zoomed in, the SDK retrieved the same features again, but at a level of detail suitable for level 19.

You might consider disabling this generalization, but you may notice a significant drop in performance.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @TomNicoski, thanks for posting your question here. I'm not sure where the jagged lines are in the attached screenshot. Can you share a reproducible test-app? Or share how the issue can be reproduced?

0 Kudos
JoelBennett
MVP Regular Contributor

This may not be an issue specific the Search widget since the same behavior can be observed without it.  It seems to be a matter of zooming in on a FeatureLayer several levels at once.  For example, below are some roads that appear this way after zooming from level 16 to level 19.

roads1.png

Here's what it looks like a second or two later after it refreshes:

roads2.png

This is the result of a tradeoff the SDK makes for efficient operation.  When rendering a feature layer, it requests a generalized (i.e. less detailed) copy of the features' geometry that will still appear the same at the scale you're viewing, while sending less data over the network.  For example, my roads looked fine at level 16; it wasn't until I viewed that same geometry at level 19 that it appeared less detailed.  Once zoomed in, the SDK retrieved the same features again, but at a level of detail suitable for level 19.

You might consider disabling this generalization, but you may notice a significant drop in performance.

TomNicoski
New Contributor II

You are right, I was able to make this happen when just zooming in.

0 Kudos