Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS for JavaScript: customize pan using mouse middle button

12-04-2016 10:09 PM
JackyCai
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I am trying to disable left mouse button click event while drawing on the map, at the same time allow users to pan using middle mouse button like in ArcMap while editing. I am looking for method like "panTo" which is mentioned in Esri document Map navigation, but could not be found in map or navigation classes. I find this method in MapWidgetProxy, but could not find example that shows how to use it. 

I would really appreciate it if anyone would provide suggestions, cheers!

Jackie

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

To determine which mouse button is clicked, you can use the "mouse-down" event listener e.g. 

map.on("mouse-down", function(evt){
   console.log(evt.which)  // will return which button was clicked
   if (evt.which == 1) {
      console.log("left button");
   } else if (evt.which == 2) {
      console.log("middle button");
   } else if (evt.which == 3) {
      console.log("right button");
   }
})

Make use of the evt.preventDefault() function to prevent any default button click behaviour during your edit session.

JackyCai
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this but it does not work for stopping default PAN. Actually, I have tried to use preventDefault and stopPropagation methods in "mouse-down", "mouse-drag", "mouse-drag-start" events, but none seems to work.

I am thinking that Esri has implemented default PAN in a seperated mechanism, because there are actually "PAN" events, which however can not be stopped unless you use map.disablePan().

0 Kudos
JackyCai
New Contributor III

I found a solution but you have to use private methods in the API. There is a __pan function (be aware of the double underscores) you can use when handling mouse-drag event, and also you need to take care of some stuff in onPanStart (otherwise the popups' position would be wrong) as well as onPanEnd (to actually apply the drag). 

It is not good to use private methods and properties directly because it might change without notifications from Esri, but this is the only solution I found so far.