Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS API to AGOL

11-29-2022 01:59 PM
CamMiller17
New Contributor II

I have created a few apps with ArcGIS API and a few scenes. My question, which is probably very basic, is how do you take what you have created in CodePen to an actual link so people can view this. I am struggling with providing a link to customers or people within the organization.

Our current hosting environment is ArcGIS Online, but ArcGIS Enterprise in the near future.

2 Replies
JeffreyWilkerson
Occasional Contributor III

You could get an account at CodePen and save your work there. Then you could provide others with that to test things. But that wouldn't be your production version. To do that you would need to house an Internet Information Server (IIS) from Microsoft, or an Apache server and expose it outside of your firewall, or purchase space on a server already on the internet such as through Servermania or GoDaddy, or utilize cloud services such as Amazon Web Services to have an internet server built in the cloud. Either way, you need a web application server on the internet that you can upload your web site to. You can build applications that utilize GIS data on ArcGIS Online, or ArcGIS Portal that are shared through a firewall, but either way you need to have access to a server running IIS or Apache, and that is exposed to the internet.

If you have a license to ArcGIS Enterprise (ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Portal, and ?), you can build web sites, and expose them through a server running IIS (or Apache) internal to your organization, but to get them on the internet any internal server needs to be open to the internet for it's web site content to be viewable outside of your org. If you have access to ArcGIS Online to build your data, you just need to get the web site you are building published on an external/external facing server to provide this outside of your organization. 

0 Kudos
ArnoFiva
Esri Contributor

Deploying web application, especially for productive use, is a topic for itself. What I understand is that you built a prototype in CodePen and would now like to show it without the code editor etc.

What we often do for our demo apps is use GitHub pages. Here is an example I created recently for the European Developer Summit:

The repository contains a few projects that I simply exported from CodePen and uploaded directly into the GitHub repository. After enabling pages in the GitHub settings tab, the app becomes available through the github.io domain.

You can see how GitHub pages uses my username for the domain and the repository name in the URL. This allows you, for example, to also take advantage of OAuth authentication using your AGOL username. 

Unfortunately that talk was not recorded and the slides are rather brief. But if you give it a try I would like to hear how it went!

0 Kudos