Which AGO applications allow users to track original maps?

Jump to solution
01-05-2016 05:36 PM
BethSample
New Contributor III

Hello all,

I have been wondering if anyone has done research on which ArcGIS Online Web Applications allow users to track the original AGO Map from which it was made. Because it is easy to rename original maps in the final Web Application, I wonder if there is a specific area in each application where the original map can be found if certain edits need to be completed. If you have any experiences to share with tracking original maps in applications, I would love to hear them!

Thanks

Beth Sample

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Beth,

Most (if not all) app configuration tools report the web map. If you go to the item page and click Configure App to open the configuration panel you'll find the web map name(s) in one of the configuration sections. See examples below for the Basic Viewer and Finder apps.

2016-01-06 at 7.16.48 AM.JPG

2016-01-06 at 7.30.21 AM.JPG

For Story Maps, you'll see the maps already added to the story when in Builder mode. For example, in Map Series or Map Journal if you edit a section you'll see the map name and also have a button to Edit the map right inside Builder if you want to make changes.

2016-01-06 at 7.19.15 AM.JPG

For Story Maps you can also visit the My Stories section of the Story Maps website to see all your stories and a list and status report on the maps, images, websites, and other resources they contain. You can change how the map is shared or open it in the ArcGIS.com map viewer to inspect it or make changes to the map.

2016-01-06 at 7.21.46 AM.JPG

I also find it helpful to use folders in My Content to keep together items that are used in the same app and to separate draft and final versions of items. For each story map or app I'm working on I create two folders, one "draft" folder and one "final" folder. I use the draft folder when I'm working on the project and then when it's done I move my finished items into the "final" folder when the project is still fresh in my mind and I know which maps and layers are which.

Hope this helps!
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

1 Reply
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Beth,

Most (if not all) app configuration tools report the web map. If you go to the item page and click Configure App to open the configuration panel you'll find the web map name(s) in one of the configuration sections. See examples below for the Basic Viewer and Finder apps.

2016-01-06 at 7.16.48 AM.JPG

2016-01-06 at 7.30.21 AM.JPG

For Story Maps, you'll see the maps already added to the story when in Builder mode. For example, in Map Series or Map Journal if you edit a section you'll see the map name and also have a button to Edit the map right inside Builder if you want to make changes.

2016-01-06 at 7.19.15 AM.JPG

For Story Maps you can also visit the My Stories section of the Story Maps website to see all your stories and a list and status report on the maps, images, websites, and other resources they contain. You can change how the map is shared or open it in the ArcGIS.com map viewer to inspect it or make changes to the map.

2016-01-06 at 7.21.46 AM.JPG

I also find it helpful to use folders in My Content to keep together items that are used in the same app and to separate draft and final versions of items. For each story map or app I'm working on I create two folders, one "draft" folder and one "final" folder. I use the draft folder when I'm working on the project and then when it's done I move my finished items into the "final" folder when the project is still fresh in my mind and I know which maps and layers are which.

Hope this helps!
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps