Can the filter app apply multiple filters to the same layer independently?

03-23-2016 02:45 PM
JesseBakker
New Contributor

I would like to be able to filter a schools layer in the filter app by using drop-down lists on multiple fields (School Type, Performance Level, Operating Agency). However, each filter layer only gets a single "Apply Filter" button and the drop down menus do not include an "All" value. This means that I cannot select to view all charter schools because in order to activate the filter I also have to select a performance value. The solution would be to either have an "All Values" option in each of the filter drop downs, or have an "Apply Filter" button for each of the drop down menus. Any help on a solution to this would be great, thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Jesse,

I am guessing that this would require custom programming of the filter app in order to do something like that. You can get into this program from Esri's Github:

GitHub - Esri/filter-template: Filter is a configurable application template that displays a map wit...

tagging: Gregory L'Azou

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Is your web map public? I'd like to see it just to make sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the template. I think this is something that you should be able to accomplish using the template app. 

0 Kudos
JesseBakker
New Contributor

Hi Kelly, thanks for your response. Here's a test version of the app. Basically I want the two filters to be able to operate independently.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Jesse,

You can "trick" the app to work to your advantage to accomplish the functionality you described above.  In your web map make a copy of your schools layer and then add one filter to one layer and the other filter to the second layer.  Save you web map and then return to the Filter App configuration page.  Go to the Filter section and check the box next to "Filter by layer".  When you view the final app you should have a drop-down for each layer and therefore the separate filters.  See the screen shots below.

JesseBakker
New Contributor

Thanks, Kyle. I got this to work by making copies of the layer with different filters. It is still not quite as clean as I would like (especially if you want to filter by more than two fields) but it works!

0 Kudos
JosephJose
New Contributor III

It's two years and lot of items have been added. Use the "Any" option in the filter