Attachment Viewer timeout

Jump to solution
06-28-2021 10:03 AM
JonathanDandois
Occasional Contributor

I have set of photos from a sidewalk survey (about 300 points) and around 1,000 photos spread across those points (1-10+ photos per point) that are "Attached" to the feature class at the SDE level. The photos are large, about 10MB each and the entire store of photos is about 11GB total.  When trying to deploy the Attachment Viewer configurable app in our Enterprise Portal (10.8.1) I get the "No Attachments Found" message similar to what others have posted.

• The layer added to the map IS an attachments-enabled Feature layer (no warnings popup to say otherwise in the Attachment Viewer config)
  • Through some digging I noted that Server was logging a ton of SEVERE timeout warnings.
  • I set max use time to >10 minutes and it still doesn't work.
  • But in particular, I noted that the Attachment Viewer widget executes a "queryAttachments" command on the entire attachments table associated with the Feature Class. "...FeatureServer/0/queryAttachments?f=json&returnMetadata=true&definitionExpression=1=1" and which eventually throws an "ATTACHMENT QUERY ERROR" "Timeout Exceeded" to the browser console.  But this error is thrown much sooner than any timeout error configured in Server.
  • Subsequent "queryAttachments" calls on individual features are successful, even if they take a while (e.g,. 20 seconds) but something must  be goofy in the app state and no pictures are loaded.

I wonder if this is related to this bug: https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEzNzI4MQ==

Or maybe I just have too many  / too large of attachments?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanDandois
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @RyanLibed. I ended up redeploying the exact same dataset as Hosted in our Portal and the Attachment Viewer app works as expected, granted a bit slow due to the image file size. 

I believe that when I deployed from a Server feature service I met the Data Requirements that you pointed to, but perhaps there is something goofy with our SQL Server side that is making something go haywire.  I'll look to those patches on the app moving forward.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Is your app publicly available? If so can you send me the url - feel free to email it at khutchins@esri.com

If its not can you check and see if you've enabled the following setting. If so can you disable it and see if it helps? 

• Under Interactivity > Modify > "Only display features with attachments"
0 Kudos
JonathanDandois
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kelly. This is on-prem, so I can't share the URL. I disabled that setting and it is behaving the same. Interestingly, i just checked against a draft version of this same dataset (1000 pics) that is Hosted in our Portal and it has no issues. the "queryAttachments 1=1" returns in under a second. The Attachment Viewer app built from a Map on that dataset runs as expected, albeit changing photos has a bit of lag because they are so large. Not sure why there would be a difference between SDE and Hosted, but maybe I need to go with Hosted?

0 Kudos
RyanLibed
Esri Contributor

Hi Jonathan, 

Glad to hear that you got the Attachment Viewer app working from a hosted data set. Please review the details under 'Data Requirements' on Attachment Viewer's item details page as that explains what is needed to get your app up and running successfully. 

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=65dd2fa3369649529b2c5939333977a1

There are also some performance improvements in Attachment Viewer coming at tonight's June 2021 ArcGIS Online update. So hopefully there is a difference in the amount of time it takes for your app's images to load.  

Additionally, we have addressed a 'No attachments found' issue that will also be included in tonight's update. 

Best regards,
Ryan

0 Kudos
JonathanDandois
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @RyanLibed. I ended up redeploying the exact same dataset as Hosted in our Portal and the Attachment Viewer app works as expected, granted a bit slow due to the image file size. 

I believe that when I deployed from a Server feature service I met the Data Requirements that you pointed to, but perhaps there is something goofy with our SQL Server side that is making something go haywire.  I'll look to those patches on the app moving forward.

0 Kudos
RyanJalynski
New Contributor III

Jonathan,

Did you ever figure out how to make this work without using a hosted feature service? I am having the exact same troubles and I was told by ESRI support that if my dataset is larger than 2GB it will not work in Hosted or Non-Hosted services.

0 Kudos
JonathanDandois
Occasional Contributor

Hi @RyanJalynski I didn't. I ended up leaving it Hosted. I think I have a task to update the App in our deployment, but I never got around to patching it.

RyanJalynski
New Contributor III

Are you still using 10.8.1 or did you ever upgrade to 10.9.1? I'm curious if this ends up resolving itself when we upgrade (currently on 10.8.1).

0 Kudos
JonathanDandois
Occasional Contributor
Still on 10.8.1, not moved to 10.9.1 yet, but we have been discussing it. The Attachment Viewer app isn't getting much use, but since I can't put it anywhere else, I don't want to pull it down yet.
0 Kudos
RyanJalynski
New Contributor III

I just noticed #BUG-000141013 (The Query Attachments operation does not complete when there is a large number of attachments in a feature service.) was attached to my case with ESRI.  It states that this is resolved in version 10.9.1.

The Attachment Viewer app has been updated to use pagination which is the correct approach when working with large numbers of attachments.

We are actually upgrading next weekend, I'll post again around that time and let you know if that worked for us.

0 Kudos