Show only Top X in a chart

Jump to solution
09-28-2018 10:32 AM
RobClark3
New Contributor III

How do I filter a chart that based on distinct values in a text column to only show the top 10 most common?

E.g. I could have 4000 rows that have 20 different classifications, I want to only show the top 10 most popular classifications (the data is dynamic) on a bar chart.

Portal 10.6.1, Insights 3.0

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanSmith8
New Contributor III

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting. The only way to do this currently is through filters, and it wouldn't be exactly what you're looking for as a filter wouldn't dynamically display the 'top counts'. Rather, it filters a specified array of values.

To do this, you'd have to setup a filter so that the chart only displays, say 'counts greater than 1.8' or 'between a range of 1.8 - 5'.

In the example below, I have roughly 10 classifications but only 5 of them are displayed in the chart after applying the filter:

What is your specific use case for having the top counts to be displayed dynamically in a chart card, Rob?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanSmith8
New Contributor III

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting. The only way to do this currently is through filters, and it wouldn't be exactly what you're looking for as a filter wouldn't dynamically display the 'top counts'. Rather, it filters a specified array of values.

To do this, you'd have to setup a filter so that the chart only displays, say 'counts greater than 1.8' or 'between a range of 1.8 - 5'.

In the example below, I have roughly 10 classifications but only 5 of them are displayed in the chart after applying the filter:

What is your specific use case for having the top counts to be displayed dynamically in a chart card, Rob?

0 Kudos
RobClark3
New Contributor III

Hi Nathan - this doesn't work.  In a lot of the dashboards we do currently with map context, we often have some form of Top X which displays data relevant to a specific area.  So as you filter you could see the top county's, states, or other geographical areas for a particular filter, category, type.

0 Kudos