"Something went wrong" when adding any data to Insights 2.1

Jump to solution
10-23-2017 01:36 PM
deleted-user-6UKTsAVuWsGs
New Contributor II

We have recently completed a fresh install of AGS Enterprise 10.5.1 and have installed Insights 2.1. Our environment consists of portal, a federated ArcGIS Server and a datastore that are all on separate servers. Any type of data that we have tried to add to Insights produces the "something went wrong" error. We are able to successfully add hosted data to our portal without any issues. When looking at our ArcGIS server logs we get the following error:

Failed to create data source ''[/enterpriseDatabases/AGSDataStore_ds_01jhriaz, com.esri.insights.APIException: failed to get data store user info]

We have had a few discussions with ESRI regarding this error and there has been some discussion about a user account that is supposed to be created on the datastore by the Insights installation called INS_XXXX. We have yet to resolve this issue and was going to see if anyone else has run into this problem and has any "insight". 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanSmith8
New Contributor III

Hi all @ "Something went wrong" when adding any data to Insights 2.1,

After doing some digging I was able to find that this issue was due to ArcGIS Data Store being installed on a drive in which NTFS 8.3 (short names) was not enabled.

To verify if your drive has short names enabled, run the below command:

View solution in original post

14 Replies
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi Todd,

Please make sure you can create a service in portal.

If you do not see the option of Feature Layer then insights will not be able to load data. If that is not available then check your federation and datastore is configured correctly.

Also, check to see if your server and datastore service is running. If none of the above then check if your portal machine can access server and datastore or there aren't any limitations interconnecting the architecture you have in place.

If not then you are welcome to create a case with esri support.

Looking at the details in your description we may even be looking at a bug somewhere in datastore.

Thanks,

Akshay

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
New Contributor II

Akshay,

As stated above, we have no issues creating feature services within our portal. We currently have a case open with ESRI Support and it appears to be something with the INS_XXXX user not being created. They have tried to script the creation of this account and have not been successful. We are currently waiting for next steps to see if we can make any progress. I will update as soon as I have more information.

0 Kudos
LaszloCsunderlik1
New Contributor III

Hi Eason,

I have exactly the same issue...
Is there any solution from the ESRI Support?

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

We have not resolved this yet. ESRI support has tried several things with no success. It appears to be an issue with the Insights user not being created in the datastore. I will update once I have additional information.

0 Kudos
Szu_NyiapTang1
New Contributor II

Hi Todd, any updates on this issue? We are facing the same issue here. 

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi all, 

I've experienced the "Something went wrong" error as well but I did not get the error 'Failed to create data source ''[/enterpriseDatabases/AGSDataStore_ds_01jhriaz, com.esri.insights.APIException: failed to get data store user info]'

Just in case it helps anyone else, restarting the machine and created a brand new workbook in Insights fixed the issue for me. 

Carmel

NathanSmith8
New Contributor III

Hi Todd Eason‌,

Sorry to hear about the issue you've encountered.

We have seen issues with Data Store's ins_xxxx user come up from time to time.

What is the current status of your case with Tech Support? Were they able to help you resolve this?

Feel free to include your case number and I'd be happy to take a look at its progress for you.

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Kudos
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

Any workarounds to this?  Have been getting this on two separate instances of an ArcGIS Enterprise base deployment at 10.6 

• To replicate I just need to try and create new content - aggregate a layer/find nearest/create density.  All fail about two seconds after clicking.
  • Was working fine a few days back
  • describedatastore reports healthy and in readwrite mode
  • Can create a new H-Feature layer from My Content and make edits to it in the Map Viewer
  • ArcGIS Server logs from Hosting Server:

EMay 18, 2018, 9:04:56 PMcom.esri.insights.utils.InsightsException: Failed to create data source ''/enterpriseDatabases/AGSDataStore_ds_czvkmebe''. at com.esri.insights.Server.getDataSource(Server.java:199) at com.esri.insights.Server.getManagedUserSchema(Server.java:117) at com.esri.insights.RelationalDataStoreService.getManagedUserSchema(RelationalDataStoreService.java:101) at com.esri.insights.RelationalDataStoreService.vacuumAnalyze(RelationalDataStoreService.java:149) at com.esri.insights.tools.adddata.FeaturesLoader.createIndexUpdateExtent(FeaturesLoader.java:101) at com.esri.insights.tools.adddata.FeaturesLoader.finish(FeaturesLoader.java:304) at com.esri.insights.utils.ADSDatasetImporter.lambda$copyFeaturesLoop$4(ADSDatasetImporter.java:180) at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.orAccept(CompletableFuture.java:1441) at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$OrAccept.tryFire(CompletableFuture.java:1414) at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$CoCompletion.tryFire(CompletableFuture.java:1020) at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postComplete(CompletableFuture.java:474) at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncRun.run(CompletableFuture.java:1632) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException at com.esri.insights.Server.getDataSource(Server.java:162) ... 14 more
0 Kudos
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi Simon,

Did you just install 10.6? If you did have you installed the patch https://support.esri.com/en/download/7581 ?

If that is not the problem then are your layers in custom spatial reference?

Thanks,

Akshay

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe