Dynamic Temporal Filter in Analysis Model

Jump to solution
09-06-2023 06:40 AM
SebFischer
New Contributor

Hey there,

I have a large point dataset including a survey date attribute and want to create a page where I can compare the spatial aggregation of these points with different temporal filters (corresponding to different survey-dates). When I set or change the time filter in the dataset-section on the left the result of the spatial aggregation changes dynamically, but if I add a temporal filter to the page and set or change the date there it does not affect the result of the spatial aggregation. 

How can I add a dynamic temporal filter which an end user can use to control the result of the spatial aggregation? 

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

@SebFischer Sorry, I missed your follow-up question. The answer would be no or as designed, predefined filters (Filters in 2023.3) and temporal filters are a way for your viewers to have filter capability on shared reports. They cannot execute an analytical operation on downstream datasets to avoid stressing the system and making the report unusable until the operation is finished. You can create multiple filters for belonging to each dataset.

e.g. If this was possible and you shared this report publically where it is accessed by thousands of users then every user filter interaction triggering spatial operation would be expensive on your servers both literally and monetarily (if the data is coming from a cloud warehouse).

The only way for you to rerun the entire analysis is by setting up a report for a scheduled refresh.

Hope that helps

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi @SebFischer,

The temporal and predefined filter on the page is specific to the dataset that you choose. It doesn't trigger analytical operations such as Spatial aggregation and spatial filters that are created using this dataset. Spatial Aggregation is a new result dataset in your data pane.

Depending on your data and what you want to achieve, instead of spatially aggregating, you can join these datasets either using Spatial or Attribute join. This way you can retain all the columns from both sides. Then, use this dataset to create visualizations and a temporal filter on the page.

Let me know if that helps. Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos
SebFischer
New Contributor

Hey Akshay,

Thanks for the response, it seems like I can work around with your suggestion. Since the Spatial Join also creates a result dataset: what happens when I update the input data for the Spatial Join? Does it trigger a rerun of the Spatial Join or do I have to actively hit the update button in the model view?

Anyways, it would be a great functionality if the temporal and predefined filters on input data would trigger a rerun of the analysis and update result datasets.

Best regards,

Sebastian 

0 Kudos
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

@SebFischer Sorry, I missed your follow-up question. The answer would be no or as designed, predefined filters (Filters in 2023.3) and temporal filters are a way for your viewers to have filter capability on shared reports. They cannot execute an analytical operation on downstream datasets to avoid stressing the system and making the report unusable until the operation is finished. You can create multiple filters for belonging to each dataset.

e.g. If this was possible and you shared this report publically where it is accessed by thousands of users then every user filter interaction triggering spatial operation would be expensive on your servers both literally and monetarily (if the data is coming from a cloud warehouse).

The only way for you to rerun the entire analysis is by setting up a report for a scheduled refresh.

Hope that helps

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe