Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Insights Web logs file location

Jump to solution
02-28-2022 07:08 AM
dedimi
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have problem on creating new database connection (SQL Server) in ArcGIS Insights Web version, the error message was 'Something went wrong', however I used the same connection properties in ArcGIS Insights Desktop and worked, the connection established.

Therefore, maybe anyone can help to inform where the log file of ArcGIS Insights Web is, it will help me a lot to investigate further.   

In addition, I'm using Linux ArcGIS Enterprise version 10.7.1 and ArcGIS Insights version 2020.1.

Thanks

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
FrancesZhu1
New Contributor II

Hi Dedimi,

There are 2 ways to check the details of the error.

1. Use the browser "inpect" tool. Usually the details of the error can be found in Console tab or the last few transactions in Network tab. The browser inspect tool can be turned on using F12 key or in the context menu using right click.

2. Check the error log in the ArcGIS server. The url of the ArcGIS server log is in <ArcGIS server machine>/<server web adaptor>/manager, for example <ArcGIS server machine>/server/manager. After you access it, go to the Logs tab (shown in the following screenshot) and click the Query button to check the error details.

FrancesZhu1_0-1646064574239.png

Please let me know if this helps.

View solution in original post

FrancesZhu1
New Contributor II

Hi Dedimi,

The error message shows that the Insights server code is not running so any operation that calls the server side will fail. But this error is not sufficient to tell why and where is wrong. 

So we need to try something to figure out the root cause. The first place to check is the ArcGIS data store.

1. Have you ever been able to create/open any workbooks using ArcGIS Insights Enterprise (the web version)? If it never works, can you reinstall the Insights. If it worked before, when is it broken.

2. If the ArcGIS Insights works before, can you restart the "ArcGIS data store" service? Then wait for a couple minutes and try opening/creating a workbook. 

3. If restarting "ArcGIS data store" service doesn't work, we need to check the server disk space. The ArcGIS data store might be in read-only mode when the disk space is below 1,024 MB. Insights can't open/create any workbook if the data store is in read-only mode. If disk space is low, add disk space to the machine, change the data store back to read-write mode and restart ArcGIS Data Store.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Hi Dedimi,

Thanks for reaching out with this question. I'm reaching out to the team to try to find an answer for you ASAP. 

Sorry to hear about your issue. Someone with more knowledge in this area will hopefully reply soon. 

Thanks again for reaching out on here to ask and for using ArcGIS Insights! Sorry again you ran into an issue. 

Ian 

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
0 Kudos
FrancesZhu1
New Contributor II

Hi Dedimi,

There are 2 ways to check the details of the error.

1. Use the browser "inpect" tool. Usually the details of the error can be found in Console tab or the last few transactions in Network tab. The browser inspect tool can be turned on using F12 key or in the context menu using right click.

2. Check the error log in the ArcGIS server. The url of the ArcGIS server log is in <ArcGIS server machine>/<server web adaptor>/manager, for example <ArcGIS server machine>/server/manager. After you access it, go to the Logs tab (shown in the following screenshot) and click the Query button to check the error details.

FrancesZhu1_0-1646064574239.png

Please let me know if this helps.

dedimi
by
New Contributor III

Hi FrancesZhu1,

Thanks for the advise. 

Actually I'm encountering two errors: creating connection and creating/opening workbook. Based on your advise, here they are:

1. Error when creating connection:
    • Using browser console:
    • dedimi_4-1646070332040.png

• Using ArcGIS Server Log (printer friendly view)
    • dedimi_1-1646070005153.png

2. Error when creating/opening Workbook
    • Using browser console:
    • dedimi_2-1646070139618.png

• Using ArcGIS Server Log (printer friendly view)
    • dedimi_5-1646070501586.png

Maybe anyone can give further suggestion on above errors to get workarounds.

Thanks.

FrancesZhu1
New Contributor II

Hi Dedimi,

The error message shows that the Insights server code is not running so any operation that calls the server side will fail. But this error is not sufficient to tell why and where is wrong. 

So we need to try something to figure out the root cause. The first place to check is the ArcGIS data store.

1. Have you ever been able to create/open any workbooks using ArcGIS Insights Enterprise (the web version)? If it never works, can you reinstall the Insights. If it worked before, when is it broken.

2. If the ArcGIS Insights works before, can you restart the "ArcGIS data store" service? Then wait for a couple minutes and try opening/creating a workbook. 

3. If restarting "ArcGIS data store" service doesn't work, we need to check the server disk space. The ArcGIS data store might be in read-only mode when the disk space is below 1,024 MB. Insights can't open/create any workbook if the data store is in read-only mode. If disk space is low, add disk space to the machine, change the data store back to read-write mode and restart ArcGIS Data Store.

dedimi
by
New Contributor III

Hi FrancesZhu1,

Thanks so much for the advice, helps me alot. I found the disk space was less than 1024.

dedimi_1-1646215350550.png