Select to view content in your preferred language

Ability to allow viewers to print report

07-25-2023 02:30 PM
WhitneyPatterson
New Contributor II

I am new to Insights and am diving into its capabilities for a project that my team is launching.  Ideally we are wanting to have the public viewers utilize filters to select a polygon of interest, in which charts and graphs would update automatically. This would serve as an "Overview" page.  I'd like for public viewers to be able to print this overview in the form of a PDF report, with a layout already created so it is simple for them.  Simply put, select a polygon, all visuals update automatically, and then print the report with all of the graphics and information in a nicely formatted and concise one-page report. Is this possible with Insights? It would be great to have the option to just print the full layout of a dashboard, but without that capability at this time we are investigating Insights as an option.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi @WhitneyPatterson ,

Thanks for your post. You should be able to do this as an analyst but it is currently not possible for the viewers to print the current view of the report. But this would make a great idea for the report designer. I will check with the team if this is an idea for enhancement in the pipeline.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the key things necessary for you to adopt insights? If you wish you wish to discuss this in private send me a direct message going to my profile and I can answer any other questions  that you might have. 

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

There is a workaround. You might need to fiddle around a little bit and design your page in such a way that your users can use the print option of the browser. You can do the following either in the page view or the Report Designer:

1. Organize your report outside of the report designer keeping the card dimensions in the multiples of standard card width and height.
  2. Determine your printing size, In my case, I am using Letter paper size. 
  3. Letter size in portrait mode You can fit 2.5 W x  3.5 H Insights standard-size cards when you print using the browser print option. OR 3 W x 4 H Standard cards if you reduce the scaling to 60%. See the example attached.
  4. Be mindful that at reduced scaling of the titles and axes labels will be smaller.
  5. You can choose to increase the font size of the cards.

Couple limitations:

1. The Page background will always be white (Unless you create a text and media card with a colour or an image and put it in the back)
  2. 60% scaling can be smaller and you will need to educate the user to print at that scaling and options (see screenshots). 
  3. This should print the current view e.g. if you filter something it will print the filtered output. Although the downside is if the user has clicked something then it will be selected in the print. (Meaning you need to use predefined filter for this to work)

AkshayHarshe_0-1690995305956.png

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos