Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't set Indoors Kiosk Home Location

Jump to solution
08-08-2024 06:20 AM
KevinDohner
Occasional Contributor

I have an indoors map created and published and am wanting to use it as a kiosk map for a building. The issue I am running into is with trying to set the Home location on the kiosk mode of the Indoor Viewer App. I have a point feature class that I am using to store the kiosk locations with the idea being that I can just populate the URL with each specific "KioskID" that points to a specific point in the feature class so that each kiosk is pointed to the right "You Are Here".

I have looked at this webpage but it doesn't seem to really help. It just says to click on a feature, then click on the share button to get the URL it generates and change index to kiosk in the URL. This is fine and all but it doesn't actually tell you how to generate the URL and I can't seem to find any actual documentation on the URL parameters for this app. Additionally, this workflow that is described doesn't work for me as for some reason, when I click on the point feature for the kiosk locations in the indoor viewer, I don't get the normal Info Panel, I get a generic info panel with no share options. (See screenshots)

I have the Kiosks Point Feature Class set in the Indoors Settings, the Level_ID field is correct, and it has the same Z value as the Level that it is on.

I do not understand what I am doing wrong or why this isn't more clear on how to do the URL Parameters but I am hoping someone can help out.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HBWiese
Occasional Contributor

You need to have the kiosk point layer in a category before it will let you share or make it the home location.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
HBWiese
Occasional Contributor

In regular "index" mode, set the home location to the point where you want the "you are here" star.  Then switch to Kiosk mode.

0 Kudos
KevinDohner
Occasional Contributor

I am in the regular "Index" mode. The problem is I can't set the home location on the Point because when I click on the point, there is nothing in the info panel to allow that as per my screenshot.

0 Kudos
HBWiese
Occasional Contributor

You need to have the kiosk point layer in a category before it will let you share or make it the home location.

KevinDohner
Occasional Contributor

.......That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't want my Kiosk Locations to be a category that people can search for or choose from in the explore tab. I just want to be able to dynamically populate a URL with feature class attributes.

0 Kudos
HBWiese
Occasional Contributor

I agree it isn't ideal. It's just the way we found to make it work. Please share if you find a different solution!

GauravJobanputra
Esri Contributor

Hello @KevinDohner, you can open the Indoor Viewer app and select a location and click 'Set Home' in the info panel. Following this, when you switch to the Kiosk mode, you will see a 'star' icon with the text 'You are here' on that location and map will also zoom to it.

0 Kudos
KevinDohner
Occasional Contributor

@GauravJobanputra, thank you for the reply. The issue isn't necessarily not knowing how to set the home location. The issue is more that if I want to set a location dynamically via URL, it seems I can only do that if my point locations for each kiosk are in a category which then allows people to search and view the category. If I have 15 kiosks in a building, it is just more appropriate to open a specific URL in each screen that adds a You Are Here at the correct location.

Following what I believe you are saying, I would have to go to each kiosk screen, open the normal version of the app, click on a spot that is near the kiosk itself, tap on "set home", then switch the screen back to kiosk mode. Then do this for each screen in the building of interest. I assume that if something was to happen such as the power going out or the screen malfunctioning, then I would then have to repeat this to get it set back up.

I have gone ahead and implemented what @HBWiese mentioned as a solution for now but in the first building we implemented this kiosk in, I have already heard complaints about having the kiosks as a category and asked if we could hide it.

I will mark this question as resolved for now but I will post an idea regarding allowing more dynamic URLs. Instead of allowing a URL parameter that is only pulling from a "Source" list being created at runtime and being populated from the categories, perhaps allowing a URL parameter that can put the You Are Here in a location that is coming from a layer in the web map. This way, you wouldn't need to have the kiosk as a category, just a point layer in the map. Or allow us to choose what layers are being added to this "Source" list.

0 Kudos