Select to view content in your preferred language

CAD Files for ArcGIS Indoors

12-05-2023 09:16 AM
AbhyanshuGupta
New Contributor III

Hi,

I was working on a custom Indoor viewer Application. I am trying to use a custom CAD File for making the floor aware map but not being able to achieve it, is there any prerequisite for the CAD file (like it being georeferenced) which we use if yes then what are the requirements.

Also, for multiple floors do I need different CAD files or a single CAD file with information for all the floors can also work.

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JasonHineEsri
New Contributor III

Hi! Yes, there are requirements for CAD floor plan drawings to import correctly to ArcGIS Indoors. The requirements are documented here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/indoors/cad-floor-plan-drawings.htm

There is a tool coming in January 2024 to help AutoCAD users check CAD floor plan drawings for conditions that can impede or prevent successful importing into ArcGIS Indoors. You can learn more about this tool, the ArcGIS Indoors for AutoCAD, from this blog post: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-indoors/indoor-gis/whats-new-in-arcgis-indoors-nove...

The CAD import tools provided by ArcGIS Indoors expect the CAD data for each floor to be in separate drawings. 

0 Kudos
AbhyanshuGupta
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply @JasonHineEsri , I was continuing on the application and was able to import the floorplan but I am not able to get the use type for the units feature layer. I was going through my CAD and saw that there is no layer annotating the use types for the rooms. Is there any way around for that. And for the tools to check the CAD file are you aware of any 3rd party tool through which I can check its compatibility.

0 Kudos
JasonHineEsri
New Contributor III

If there is no use type text in the CAD and your application needs use type data for the rooms, your options are to either:

1. Add use type text to the CAD (for example, create a layer with a name like A-AREA-IDEN, then create TEXT entities on that layer, making sure each TEXT entity's insertion point is positioned inside the unit boundary), then import the CAD to the indoor geodatabase and map the CAD text to the Units:USE_TYPE field

-or-

2. After importing the CAD, manually edit the indoor geodatabase to assign values to the Units:USE_TYPE field.

I'm not aware of any 3rd party tool specifically designed to check CAD floor plan compatibility with ArcGIS Indoors' import tools. 

0 Kudos