Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcSDE User-Schema Geodatabases in Oracle are deprecated

Monday
ShareUser
Esri Community Manager
0 0 46

1. INTRODUCTION

ArcSDE User-Schema Geodatabases in Oracle are deprecated.

MarceloMarques_0-1720461598351.png

MarceloMarques_1-1720461608715.png________________________________________________________________________________________________

arcsde_user_schema_gdb_oracle.gif
________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. DEPRECATION PLANS

What are the deprecation plans for ArcGIS products?

MarceloMarques_2-1720458030864.png________________________________________________________________________________________________

IMPORTANT:  If you are using ArcGIS Pro 3.x and trying to edit data and use geodatabase features like Traditional Versioning and or Branch Versioning with an ArcSDE User-Schema Geodatabase in Oracle, then this is not a recommended nor a supported workflow with ArcGIS Pro.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. GEODATABASE COMPATIBILITY

ArcGIS Pro and Geodatabase compatibility

MarceloMarques_3-1720458224758.png

4. MIGRATE YOUR DATA

If you are working with ArcGIS Pro 3.x then you need to migrate the ArcSDE User-Schema Geodatabase in Oracle to an Oracle Multi-Tenant Database Instance.

1. create a new Oracle CDB - Container Database
  2. create new PDB's - Pluggable Databases
  3. create the ArcSDE Repository in each PDB using ArcGIS Pro 3.x
  4. create the Data Owner user in each PDB
  5. need to reconcile, post, and run sde compress multiple times in the old ArcSDE User-Schema Geodatabase in Oracle
  6. need to rebuild indexes and gather new statistics in the old ArcSDE User-Schema Geodatabase in Oracle
  7. Use ArcGIS Pro to reload the data from the old ArcSDE User-Schema Geodatabase in Oracle
  8. create the new editor and viewer users in each PDB
  9. create the new roles for permissions
  10. grant the roles to the editor and viewer users
  11. refresh the roles with new permissions

You can learn how to setup the new Oracle CDB in the database guide books for ArcGIS Pro in my community.esri.com page.

Read the ArcGIS Pro “Production Mapping” database guidebook for Oracle and the database connection best practices.

I discuss a lot of best practices in the database guidebook, and I explain in detail how to setup advanced Oracle features like Oracle Encryption (TDE) and Oracle Compression.

The guidebook is just a start point that the Oracle Database Administrator & Geodatabase Administrator need to read.

Then after that is highly recommended to download the database template scripts for Oracle also available in my community.esri.com page.

The database template scripts have a lot more best practices and recommendations on how to setup, manage, and maintain the Oracle Geodatabase.