Select to view content in your preferred language

Mosaic Dataset overviews not displaying/inconsistent at higher scales

01-27-2022 01:35 PM
KeonMonroe
Occasional Contributor

I have a mosaic dataset with ~100  drone flight images loaded (of varying cell sizes). After adding the rasters, I also Build Overviews. I am seeing an odd behavior where only some overviews will display at higher scales (zoomed out extent). Screenshot is attached - some imagery has overviews appearing but many  do not. 

Upon inspection of the imagery without overviews displaying, I find that there are some partially or unprocessed. According to this article, the solution is to run Build Overviews with the Define Missing Overview Tiles option unchecked. I tried this and still have the same results and partial/unprocessed overviews in the mosaic dataset. 

I also tried tweaking the min/max PS - per this solution but that didn't work but it's unclear to me which particular rows need to be edited. The primary dataset or the overviews? And then how would it work with partial/unprocessed overviews? 

Appreciate any help. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MDB_GIS
Frequent Contributor

Not sure if you ever got this fixed or not, but I have also had this issue. The reason you are only seeing a few tiles displayed when zoomed out is because overviews are not rendering at all. Those are the base image tile. I think the default is that only 20 can be drawn at a time. To get your overviews to draw you first need to run the "Define Overviews" tool. You will want to use default settings for most everything except for "Number of Levels." Change that to -1 to force the software to determine the optimal number of overview levels to use. Once you have done that, run the "Build Overviews" tool. This should resolve your problem. 

0 Kudos