Roles and Privileges for Share Open Data Template

Jump to solution
02-25-2021 04:43 PM
KristenWobbe1
Occasional Contributor

Hello! 

I am in the beginning stages of design and configuration of the Share Open Data Template and my AGOL Role and Privileges are not at the Administrator level, but one step below in our system of custom roles. I saw on the document, "Create an Open Data Site in Three Steps," under Step 2: a privilege has to be granted to enable the creation and management of the site.

Administrator. If the user responsible for the open data site is not the administrator, specific privileges will need to be assigned to the user’s ArcGIS Online role. Privileges include the following:

• Manage open data sites—This privilege enables the creation and management of the site. This is required if the administrator of the open data site does not have an Administrator role in ArcGIS Online.
  • Make groups available to open data—This privilege is given to ArcGIS Online group managers. Group managers will also require the following privileges: Create, update, and delete; Share with groups; and Make groups visible to public.

If I am reading this correctly, to manage Open Data Sites Users must be Admin or have the role privileges to manage the organization’s websites settings. General, home page, gallery, map, items, group, and open data?

I found it under Organization website Role Privileges– Manage the organization’s website settings.

From ESRI documentation page -https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm

Organization website: Manage the organization's website settings

Members of roles with this privilege can configure the following in the organization settings:

• General: Organization profile (Name, Logo, Summary), Organization verification, Contact link, Organization defaults (Region, Language, Short name), Administrative contacts, Esri User Experience Improvement Program, Shared theme, App launcher
  • Home Page: Background image, Banner image, Featured content, Organization description
  • Gallery: Show in gallery
  • Map: Map Viewer Beta, Basemap gallery, Map defaults (Default basemap, Default extent, Units), Bing Maps, ArcGIS Configurable Apps, Web styles, Analysis layers
  • Items: Metadata, Organization categories
  • Groups: Featured groups, ArcGIS Configurable Apps

If this true, I think we need another Custom Role.  (This moves from user and content management to BLM AGOL Site management.) 

Would really appreciate it if you could verify whether this is true. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KatelynThompson
Esri Contributor

Hi Kristen, 

The 3 step article you've referenced does reflect the current workflow for creating sites with ArcGIS Hub (this includes your Open Data template). We're in the process of updating this article, but in the meantime, I want to clarify the roles and privileges needed for what you're looking to do. 

Anyone with a Publisher role can activate a new site or template, but they will not activate a complete site (includes a core team group for giving edit access to others + other workflows). For this reason, we recommend that people working with ArcGIS Hub have a custom role with a few additional Administrative privileges that are outlined here and here

Additionally, as long as you have the privileges to add and manage groups of items (included with Publisher), you can use your site's Content Library to select specific items or add an entire group of items (ie your open data). As my colleague Thomas noted in this response, be sure that your items are shared publicly and your Open Data template site has been shared publicly as well. This allows anyone to access your (open data) site and to view/search for your content through the site's search bar. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KatelynThompson
Esri Contributor

Hi Kristen, 

The 3 step article you've referenced does reflect the current workflow for creating sites with ArcGIS Hub (this includes your Open Data template). We're in the process of updating this article, but in the meantime, I want to clarify the roles and privileges needed for what you're looking to do. 

Anyone with a Publisher role can activate a new site or template, but they will not activate a complete site (includes a core team group for giving edit access to others + other workflows). For this reason, we recommend that people working with ArcGIS Hub have a custom role with a few additional Administrative privileges that are outlined here and here

Additionally, as long as you have the privileges to add and manage groups of items (included with Publisher), you can use your site's Content Library to select specific items or add an entire group of items (ie your open data). As my colleague Thomas noted in this response, be sure that your items are shared publicly and your Open Data template site has been shared publicly as well. This allows anyone to access your (open data) site and to view/search for your content through the site's search bar. 

0 Kudos