Limit Who Can Create HUB Sites

10-16-2019 12:53 PM
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  We would like to know if there is a way to limit accounts who can create HUB sites.  We have 1800+ users that can publish and create content, but we only want a few vetted people to be able to create HUB sites.  Does anyone know if that is possible? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HemantAngarkar1
Esri Contributor

This help document might be helpful. I think it depends on user role and privileges who can create hub site. Admin can do everything, publisher I believe can create a hub site. Look into Custom Role as well.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you help me understand why you see Hub differently from other WebGIS apps (StoryMaps, Ops Dashboard, WAB, ExB, Survey123, etc)? Is there a specific feature that causes you concern? Why is this web app different in your eyes?

All essential apps on the platform are governed by the "Create content" user priv today for Creator user types. This is to bring a simplicity to ArcGIS which has many flavors of content. Definitely interested in hearing more! Feel free to reach out if you'd like to have a meeting vs. a forum write up. My email is ghudgins@esri.com

Edit: also - one thing to note, if you're worried about people sharing content made on Hub, you can always restrict their sharing privs. using a custom member role. Many Online users have publisher-type users without the "Share to Public" option to prevent something that doesn't meet brand guidelines from going out to the masses.

ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

I have the same question as the OP. I manage a university AGOL organization account so we have 500+ users. We have just started to created test hub pages and have the Premium hub license which allows outside user participation. I just had a student create a hub initiative on her own and I'd like to restrict this to at least a higher user role. I should also say that we already use custom roles and that students need to be able to publish publicly for other content. Is there any way of restricting this? Or can you clarify how the hub community aspect is the same as sharing a storymap? Thanks!! Beth

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What makes you more concerned with an Initiative website than you would be with the other content the student is publishing? Is there something about the website that makes you have more concern? 

0 Kudos
ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

It is the community involvement aspect that concerns me most. It's still very unclear to me how the two organizations effect each other (uni org and hub community org). There doesn't seem to be the level of control to say this hub can have outside participants and this one can't since it's set on the hub org settings. I have turned off the Security setting "Logins\Social\Allow members to sign up and sign in to your org using their login from Facebook or Google" but one could imagine how multiple hub sites would have different needs. Like i could produce a hub site that sought public participation but I wouldn't want a student to be able to create a hub site and without even knowing it, allow outside users to sign up. Is there a way to approve these logins or is there a setting under each hub initiative to lock this?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah - yes currently Hub's sign up capabilities are org-wide. Enabling them allows a community user to be created anywhere your sign in screen is so it's not just a Hub app conversion chance...the idea here is you might want to privately share a survey to incoming community users....forcing the users to sign up to take the survey. We don't have a way of turning on community account creation per-site or app at this point. If you have it disabled (hub settings is good for this) then effectively you've turned your community org into an "invite only" community. To get users into it you'll login as your community admin and invite them in ArcGIS Online.

This is a long winded way of saying that the sign up side of hub is governed at the org level and you can turn it off globally. You'll then need to invite external users that you choose to be a part of your community vs. trying to get them to sign up anonymously.

Both of these settings are independent of a specific Hub site--that's just one possible web GIS touchpoint that you can use to organize people.

A student creating a website should have the same amount of weight as a student creating a dashboard or a storymap as those are all things that live on the web....you can restrict students from making content outright (while still allowing publishing of feature data) or restrict how far they can share the web content from your organization. 

Edit: some customers also employ a sort of post signup review process...you can always use your administrative powers on the community organization to kick out people who either 1) don't follow up in some way...we had a customer use a survey for this or 2) don't login

0 Kudos