How to change community member privileges/roles

Jump to solution
11-23-2021 02:14 AM
elpinguino
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Hub community,

I have two licences into a community. One is the group manager. I can control in a row what groups can/can't see it when I log in as the group manager. Using my other licence, which is a member, I don't have these controls.

1. What roles can control who can see what rows?

2. How do I assign/change roles in the Hub or in the community group to members in the community group, but aren't in your organisation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KatelynThompson
Esri Contributor

Hello! Thanks for your patience in getting this reply. Here are some answers to your questions that I hope you'll find useful!

The following roles can control who can see what rows: ArcGIS Online administrators, Publishers (who belong to the site's core team group), and the site/initiative manager (usually the person who created the initiative (and its corresponding site). By default, anyone (including community users) who are added to the initiative’s core team are automatically made “group managers” in the team. So long as they are Publisher or higher, they should have no issue selecting groups for private row access.

1. How do I assign/change roles in the Hub or in the community group to members in the community group, but aren't in your organisation?

If you are an ArcGIS Online admin, you can assign/change roles for any member of your ArcGIS Online organization. As you know, community members are housed in another ArcGIS Online organization that's totally separate from your primary org. This is commonly called your community organization or secondary organization. Only people who are community administrators can change the ArcGIS Online roles for community members. We typically recommend that community members have a Publisher role assigned to their account. This role allows them join groups (ie follow an initiative, sign up for an event, become a team member, and create their own content).

The Hub community group – This group is just a group to which all community users are added when they get or create a community account. By default, community users who join a team, sign up for an event, or follow an initiative are added to the team group, event attendees group, followers group, respectively. And likewise, they can view private content shared with just the group, including rows. You can also create additional groups (teams) by adding supporting teams to your initiative and adding the users (community + employees from your primary org) to the group and setting private row access that way.

You may notice the "groups manager" team role inside of a supporting team. You don’t have to worry about this role in terms of setting row access. It just means that anyone elevated to this role within a team has the ability to modify team description and settings; in view supporting teams, they can add other users' content; in view and edit supporting teams they can unshare content owned by any other team members.

KatelynThompson_0-1638550576933.png

Keep in mind that the unique partnership between your main organization and the community organization is secured, so that community members can ONLY access the content available to them through a group. Regardless of their role within the community organization, or a group/team, they have no way to access any content belonging to your main org, unless you explicitly share it with them through a group.

We are working to clarify this in the documentation, and in the meantime, welcome any feedback on this explanation.

Thanks, 
Katie 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KatelynThompson
Esri Contributor

Hello! What type of content are you referring to when you say "rows"? What type of group are you using? 

0 Kudos
elpinguino

Hi @KatelynThompson ,

Thanks for your reply.

I should preface this with, I'm still really new to the Hub and this project has been inherited. I have learned quickly how to use different parts of the Hub, but I am finding it less intuitive than the other ESRI platforms.

I hope you can help me out here!

Rows

I've pulled these in from the layout panel and put text, images and apps into them. At the bottom of the row controls on the left hand side of the screen, I can choose which groups can see or not see these rows. So if Group A B and C can see the page, I can select the settings on the row so that only Group A can see the first row.

elpinguino_0-1637787980891.pngelpinguino_1-1637787997184.png

elpinguino_2-1637788004877.png

Groups

I'm not exactly sure how to answer this question. Could you point me to where to look for this? On AGOL or where in the Hub? The groups formed in AGOL, which are the ones I use to choose who can see what row are regular groups I normally create. Nothing special about them.

I noticed there's a group (or hub community?) that members get automatically added to. I did not create this. It's in here that I want to change from a member to a group manager. Does this require buying a new licence though or is there a way around it? I have access to the one group manager licence, but that lives in a different organisation, and I would like to be able to control who sees what rows( using the group manager privileges) from our other organisation.

If it's easier, I could show you on zoom. I can't post a video f the build here though.

0 Kudos
KatelynThompson
Esri Contributor

Hello! Thanks for your patience in getting this reply. Here are some answers to your questions that I hope you'll find useful!

The following roles can control who can see what rows: ArcGIS Online administrators, Publishers (who belong to the site's core team group), and the site/initiative manager (usually the person who created the initiative (and its corresponding site). By default, anyone (including community users) who are added to the initiative’s core team are automatically made “group managers” in the team. So long as they are Publisher or higher, they should have no issue selecting groups for private row access.

1. How do I assign/change roles in the Hub or in the community group to members in the community group, but aren't in your organisation?

If you are an ArcGIS Online admin, you can assign/change roles for any member of your ArcGIS Online organization. As you know, community members are housed in another ArcGIS Online organization that's totally separate from your primary org. This is commonly called your community organization or secondary organization. Only people who are community administrators can change the ArcGIS Online roles for community members. We typically recommend that community members have a Publisher role assigned to their account. This role allows them join groups (ie follow an initiative, sign up for an event, become a team member, and create their own content).

The Hub community group – This group is just a group to which all community users are added when they get or create a community account. By default, community users who join a team, sign up for an event, or follow an initiative are added to the team group, event attendees group, followers group, respectively. And likewise, they can view private content shared with just the group, including rows. You can also create additional groups (teams) by adding supporting teams to your initiative and adding the users (community + employees from your primary org) to the group and setting private row access that way.

You may notice the "groups manager" team role inside of a supporting team. You don’t have to worry about this role in terms of setting row access. It just means that anyone elevated to this role within a team has the ability to modify team description and settings; in view supporting teams, they can add other users' content; in view and edit supporting teams they can unshare content owned by any other team members.

KatelynThompson_0-1638550576933.png

Keep in mind that the unique partnership between your main organization and the community organization is secured, so that community members can ONLY access the content available to them through a group. Regardless of their role within the community organization, or a group/team, they have no way to access any content belonging to your main org, unless you explicitly share it with them through a group.

We are working to clarify this in the documentation, and in the meantime, welcome any feedback on this explanation.

Thanks, 
Katie 

elpinguino

Hi @KatelynThompson ,

Thank you for looking into this and taking the time to explain in such thorough detail.

Based off of what you wrote, I realised our admin hadn't been added to the Core Group. I made that change, and then turned its permission levels to above publisher. Thank you.

I did have to read through your explanation a few times to get it through my head. It is a a bit complicated and don't know if other users would take the time to try and understand the process when some of the other ESRI's products are more intuitive.

Now that your reply is on the community board though, I hope others will find it useful if they find themselves in the same situation as me.

Thank you again for your help.

0 Kudos