How to add another hub community administrator from my organisation?

07-31-2020 09:23 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

We have hub premium, within which we are developing multiple initiatives. I would like each initiative manager (staff from our organisation) to be responsible for adding/inviting and managing community users for their respective initiatives. I can login to ArcGIS Online using my hub admin account to invite new community users myself, but cannot find a way to provide the same privileges to a member of my organisation. I can see there is a way to do so for community users, but our hub premium licence prevents us from assigning community user accounts to staff. How can I set up a member of my organisation with an administrative account for the community organisation?

Some of the documentation states that

If your organization has a license to ArcGIS Hub Premium, a hub administrator cannot access community accounts and content unless they also have an administrative account for the community organization. For more information, see Get started with the ArcGIS Hub community organization?.

Community administrators are assigned a default Administrator role during activation of ArcGIS Hub Premium. An existing community administrator can assign additional members to the role in Hub Settings found on the Overview page.

The above suggests that community users can be given admin privileges, but not members of our own organisation, as they do not appear in the Hub members list.

Note: The staff users in question already have permission to create and edit the hub sites themselves using their organisational ArcGIS logins, but cannot invite new community users.

Graham Hudgins 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you give members of your organization ~publisher levels of permission they should be able to invite *public* community users. (they won't be able to see the private community members)

To give them access to private community members, you need to create a community org administrator account for them--which will let them both see all community users (public or private) as well as pushing them into groups.

To do that, login to www.arcgis.com as your community administrator, create an account for your colleagues, and elevate them to "administrator" for the community org.

Your colleagues will still continue to use hub as their staff users but when the hub prompts for it, they can "double login" as their community admin to get special access to the community users.

DataOfficer

Thank you Graham Hudgins‌ for the quick response. That is very useful. My confusion stemmed from the understanding we weren't allowed to assign community user accounts to organisational staff, so thank you for clarifying that this is possible for admin purposes.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

we hope to eventually eliminate the need for a double login like this to administer the community (like how you can push users into groups without the double login today). appreciate you bearing with us! 

DataOfficer

That would be fantastic. It does get a little messy and confusing having to switch between the two for invites and adding community users in to groups. 

0 Kudos