Buggy permissions behavior on cloned hub site

Jump to solution
03-28-2019 10:48 AM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

We have cloned one of our Hub sites and created new instances of each of the pages within the site.  The owner of the site and pages can view and edit the site and pages exactly as expected.  However, non-owner members of the site/pages see some very odd behavior:

• user is a member of the Hub Administration Group
  • the Site and all Pages are shared with the Organization
  • user can view the site in the Site Manager page
  • user can click the 'Pages' button on the Site Manager page and see the list of pages.
  • user can click 'edit pencil' on the Pages page to open up a Page for editing
  • user can make edits to the content of the Page
  • when user clicks on the 'Save' button, a error message is displayed `You do not have permissions to access this resource or perform this operation.`. The error code is `GWM_0003`
  • when user closes out the page and then returns to edit the page, the changes that were made are persisted in the page despite being told that the edits were not saved.
  • from the edit page, when the user clicks the 'view' button, user is asked to login. when providing appropriate credentials user gets messages indicating insufficient permissions

Any thoughts about what's going on?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Tom Rippetoe‌ I was able to reproduce the error and trace it back to the cloned site not being auto-shared to the Hub Administration Group.  The user has edit privileges on the page (it is properly shared), which is why the changes are successful.  

The error message is displayed ("...lack of permissions...") because the cloned site the page belongs to isn't properly shared via the cloning bug.

For any existing cloned sites, you can do the following to get around the bug...

1. Log in to the home app
  2. Under "Content" find the cloned site's Hub Site Application item
  3. Select the checkbox
  4. Select "Share" at the top-right of the table
  5. Share access and update capabilities to "Hub Administration Group"

We'll work on getting a fix together for the auto-sharing of cloned sites going forward.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Hi Tom -- thanks for the excellent write-up of what's going on.  We have a similar issue we plan to address very shortly.  I'm going to reproduce your steps and see if they are connected.

BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Tom Rippetoe‌ I was able to reproduce the error and trace it back to the cloned site not being auto-shared to the Hub Administration Group.  The user has edit privileges on the page (it is properly shared), which is why the changes are successful.  

The error message is displayed ("...lack of permissions...") because the cloned site the page belongs to isn't properly shared via the cloning bug.

For any existing cloned sites, you can do the following to get around the bug...

1. Log in to the home app
  2. Under "Content" find the cloned site's Hub Site Application item
  3. Select the checkbox
  4. Select "Share" at the top-right of the table
  5. Share access and update capabilities to "Hub Administration Group"

We'll work on getting a fix together for the auto-sharing of cloned sites going forward.

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

Brian Rollison‌ Thank you for the reply.

Can you provide a bit more detail about steps 1 and 2?  I think today is a particularly dense day for me and I'm not quite getting where the home app is and where the checkbox of step 3 is.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

Brian Rollison

Nevermind.  I was being dense.  You were talking about AGOL; i was looking in the Hub Admin pages.  So, i think i got it from here.  

Thanks again

0 Kudos
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

No worries Tom Rippetoe‌ -- glad you got there!

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

Brian Rollison‌  Looks like i wrote too soon.

So i am owner of the Hub Application. 

• I select the checkbox in My Content.
  • I click the Share button.
  • I get a drop down with two options.....
    • I select the 'Access and Update Capabilities'.
  • I then get a modal dialog which displays the potential groups that i can share with. 
    • The Hub Admin Group is not an option in the list of Groups.   

I am a member of that group. 

Not sure how to set the appropriate permissions.......

Thanks again,

Tom

0 Kudos
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Tom Rippetoe‌ very odd, can you email me at brollison@esri.com so we can troubleshoot what is going on with the missing group.

0 Kudos