Arcgis open data not allowing download (of large datasets?)

Jump to solution
03-04-2015 06:37 AM
JustinMeyers
New Contributor III

the website errors out when trying to download large datasets?  Does anyone know why this happens?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewTurner
Esri Contributor

Hey Justin - you've invoked the name of geocommons so <poof!>

Thanks for your feedback. It's always welcome.

Specific to the dataset you linked - it points to an HTTPS service that has an invalid security certificate. So in this case we should have shown you an message that said the dataset server is not working.

More generally, I'm particularly interested in that tantalizing list of questions and suggestions for improving ArcGIS Open Data (and all of ArcGIS). We deploy updates about every two weeks, and currently are doing a number of redesign & rebuild of functionality, so your input is extremely well timed.

Feel free to start a new thread, or ping me directly - andrew @ <you know who>.com

Andrew

CTO, Esri R&D DC, formerly of GeoIQ + GeoCommons

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DanielFenton1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Justin, as I mentioned in the other issue, the problem was most likely a temporary error in the host server or in the Open Data infrastructure. If you can point out specific downloads that fail, we'd be happy to take a look.

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

I have an issue with the downloads, it is heavy data and when opening it is empty.!!!!! what might be the issue??

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Can you please post a link to the service that exhibits this issue?

0 Kudos
StarlaElkins
New Contributor

Dataset | Town of Erie, CO

Here is my link to address points that is throwing errors.

0 Kudos
JenniferMcCall4

Hi Starla,

When you download the data, what error do you receive?

Also some other questions:

1) What format are you downloading the data in (Shapefile?)

2) Are you downloading the entire dataset, or a filtered dataset?

3) What browser are you using?

0 Kudos
StarlaElkins
New Contributor

Shapefile, KML and table/entire dataset/ Chrome & IE. I read that we shouldn’t publish services with more than 5000 features. Our address points are close to 9000. I republished and used the index button and now it seems to be working. I also have contours I would like to throw up there but the dataset is rather large. Any suggestions when publishing this service for Open Data?

0 Kudos
CourtneyClaessens

Hi Starla,

Where did you read that you shouldn't publish services with more than 5,000 features? ArcGIS Open Data will support services with more than 5,000 features. Publishing your contours dataset should be fine; creating a hosted feature service on ArcGIS Online will make it more stable and have quicker response times. If you go with an on premises service, I'd recommend changing the download cache to manual in the Data Manager tab of the administrative application (I am assuming your contours will not be a frequently updated dataset), so users get immediate downloads.  More information on the download cache settings here: Data manager—ArcGIS Open Data | ArcGIS

Thanks

Courtney

StarlaElkins
New Contributor

I saw it here: http://doc.arcgis.com/en/open-data/provider/server-configuration-details.htm.

I should read more carefully. Thanks!

0 Kudos
JustinMeyers
New Contributor III

this just hangs in Chrome - well over ten minutes.

http://opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/258e839feaa748f899248e93f666bffa_0

it seems large datasets do this, or just error out.  sometimes Firefox works, but not all the time.  Who is a good POC for questions with regard to ArcGIS Open data website?  There are a ton of things that I think can be updated, or changed for a better end user result.  right now it is super limited (since ESRI bought out geocommons, they should have taken a few pointers from them, but didnt...)

Thanks!

Justin

0 Kudos