Migrating GEP Config from 10.1 to 10.3.1

07-07-2015 08:38 PM
DarrylWilson
New Contributor II

Hi there,

Has anyone had any experience migrating the GeoEvent Processor config from 10.1 to 10.3.1.

The GEP and services are quite complicated, and we would prefer to export the config xml and then re-import it.

We are also using some custom Java components. Has anyone ported these from 10.1 to 10.3.1?

Many thanks

Darryl

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndreasEspersen
New Contributor III

Hi Darryl,

I did it from 10.1 to 10.2.2 and had to reconfigure all of my services. We are also using also custom made adapters.

When that is said version 10.2.2 is running much better than 10.1 - so we were happy about upgrading to a newer version.

- Andreas

0 Kudos
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Darryl -

Did you solve your issue regarding upgrading your instance of GeoEvent? I was a little confused by your original post. GeoEvent was introduced at the ArcGIS 10.2 release ... it wasn't available at 10.1.

I would recommend exporting your GeoEvent configuration as an XML so that you have a backup of your inputs, outputs, GeoEvent Services (etc.) and then uninstalling GeoEvent. Uninstalling the extension doesn't remove the product's configuration store. I'd go ahead and delete it manually after you've uninstalled the extension. You can find it in the folder C:\ProgramData\Esri\GeoEvent

​After installing the 10.3.1 product release you'll find that one of the new features is the ability to selectively import items from an previously exported XML. You could try importing just an input to see that data can be received, then import the GeoEvent Service which incorporates that input to verify that the processing and event output work as they did previously. Import your remaining items and validate that they all work.

When working with custom components, you usually load those into the GeoEvent framework using GeoEvent Manager to copy the JAR files into the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEvent\deploy folder. In Manager navigate to:

• Site > Components > Transports and click 'Add Local Transport'
  • Site > Components > Adapters and click ‘Add Local Adapter’
  • Site > Components > Processors and click ‘Add Local Processor’

If these are custom components you created yourself, you'll probably need to make sure they have been re-compiled using the 10.3.1 product's SDK before loading them into the newly installed product framework. You will need to reload any custom components - only their configurable properties are in the product XML.

Some of the older 10.2 custom components suffer from an issue that the Java namespace in the JAR refers to com.esri.ges.<something> ... which interferes with product upgrade. If you find that a custom component appears to load, but you cannot access its properties to change its configuration, that is a good indication that you've encountered this issue.

When custom components have been loaded into the framework changes are made to the product's runtime files (C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEvent\data). You want to be sure that the GeoEvent Windows service has been stopped and that you've deleted the files in this ...\data folder to make sure that all traces of the custom component have been removed. (A product uninstall should have taken care of this. I only mention it so that you're aware of what you need to do when removing a custom component from an installed instance of the extension.)

Simply deleting the JAR file from the ...\GeoEvent\deploy folder should be sufficient, but I usually take the extra step of stopping GeoEvent and deleting its ...\GeoEvent\data folder.

Hope this information helps -

RJ