Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating an issue in a Scene put a point on the ground

Jump to solution
03-04-2022 08:46 AM
lorenzoz
Occasional Contributor

I'm experimenting a problem creating an issue with the widget in the ArcGIS GeoBIM app.

I want to create an issue on the top of a building, but when I click on the roof, the point is created on the ground. It seems like the widget doesn't recognize the Z value of the point. 

The documentation says: Click a location on the map to specify the issue location.

Does it mean that, as of today, it is possible to add the issue only on maps and not on scenes?

Thank you for your help,

Lorenzo

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @lorenzoz - z-values are not recognized at this time for Issues and it will place the point on the ground or layered surface. For example, in a Scene the Issues feature layer should be set to the 'Relative to Scene' elevation selection which would automatically place the issue on top of any layers within your scene where it would be on the roof of your layer. See image below for this setting in scene viewer. 

If you feel this is a critical feature for future incorporation, please add it to the GeoBIM Ideas Page.  

AnthonyRenteria_0-1646416392663.png

View solution in original post

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@lorenzoz Agreed! 

I think we'll need to look into this further since the visualization settings within Scene Viewer may have been updated recently. Previously, if you place an issue within a scene that contains a building layer and the elevated selection is specified as Relative to Scene, it should lift the newly created issues after the issue attributes are filled out in the widget.

Now, I just tested it myself and noticed the SceneViewer is now ordering layers a little differently than before, so one way to get these new issues to show up is by using 3D symbols instead of the 2D option. That seems to have fixed this problem in my test: 

AnthonyRenteria_1-1647304097903.png

AnthonyRenteria_0-1647304025976.png

Your other issues may actually be in your app, but they are probably covered by other 3D features in the scene. So to check, you can head to the Data Viewer Table in GeoBIM and select the Issues layer, sort by number, and see if those new GeoBIM issues were added in the list: 

AnthonyRenteria_2-1647304366284.png

Please let me know if that helps or not. If the issues are not there, then we may need to discuss your GeoBIM project to see what else may be causing problems.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @lorenzoz - z-values are not recognized at this time for Issues and it will place the point on the ground or layered surface. For example, in a Scene the Issues feature layer should be set to the 'Relative to Scene' elevation selection which would automatically place the issue on top of any layers within your scene where it would be on the roof of your layer. See image below for this setting in scene viewer. 

If you feel this is a critical feature for future incorporation, please add it to the GeoBIM Ideas Page.  

AnthonyRenteria_0-1646416392663.png

lorenzoz
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Anthony!

I changed the settings of the Issue Feature Layer in "Relative to the Scene" and it works. It would be so much better if the Z could be read from the widget. I'll definitely add to the Ideas.

I only have another small questions, because in one of the building that I have the tool doesn't work properly. Does the building in AGOL need to have special features for the issue widget to work? Which layers of a Building Scene Layer does the widget recognize as "ground"? 

Thank you so much for your help.

Lorenzo

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@lorenzoz Agreed! 

I think we'll need to look into this further since the visualization settings within Scene Viewer may have been updated recently. Previously, if you place an issue within a scene that contains a building layer and the elevated selection is specified as Relative to Scene, it should lift the newly created issues after the issue attributes are filled out in the widget.

Now, I just tested it myself and noticed the SceneViewer is now ordering layers a little differently than before, so one way to get these new issues to show up is by using 3D symbols instead of the 2D option. That seems to have fixed this problem in my test: 

AnthonyRenteria_1-1647304097903.png

AnthonyRenteria_0-1647304025976.png

Your other issues may actually be in your app, but they are probably covered by other 3D features in the scene. So to check, you can head to the Data Viewer Table in GeoBIM and select the Issues layer, sort by number, and see if those new GeoBIM issues were added in the list: 

AnthonyRenteria_2-1647304366284.png

Please let me know if that helps or not. If the issues are not there, then we may need to discuss your GeoBIM project to see what else may be causing problems.

0 Kudos
lorenzoz
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Anthony for your suggestions.

Now everything is working with placing an issue on a layered surface. I only have some problems on placing an issue on a Building Scene Layer, but I think this is for some georeferencing problems with my model.

I'll try changing some setting and see if it solves the problem.

Thank you for your help!

Lorenzo