Refreshing the map

05-31-2013 12:13 PM
PerryClark
New Contributor III
Greetings:

My Esri Maps for MS Office map refreshes and the symbols changes as expected when I enter new values by manually typing them into the table.

I have created a macro that populates my maps source table with "values only" harvested from various non-GIS friendly sources in the Excel file.  The Esri Maps for MS Office map does not refresh or display new values when I change the values in the table using my macro.

I am seeking ideas for programmatically or manually refreshing the map after bulk copying new data to the maps source table?

Perry
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PerryClark
New Contributor III
It would nicer if the Esri application had a refresh data button, but here is a workaround:

'Copy cells one by one to force the Esri Maps for MS Office map to update
Dim FirstCell As Range
Dim FirstTargetCell As Range
Dim i As Integer

Set FirstCell = Sheets("SourceSheet").Range("BG11")
Set FirstTargetCell = Sheets("GISReadySheet").Range("BG2")
i = 0

Do
FirstTargetCell.Offset(i, 0).Value = FirstCell.Offset(i, 0).Value
i = i + 1
Loop Until FirstCell.Offset(i, 0).Value = ""
End Sub
0 Kudos
EricBowman
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Perry,

I would suggest you place this code into an idea on the Ideas site - ideas.arcgis.com.  That way it goes straight to the developers and others that work with the products.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
AndrewHargreaves
Occasional Contributor II
This works well to refresh the map within Excel, but is there a way to programatically 'update the shared layer'?

Thanks
0 Kudos
PerryClark
New Contributor III
gg7aph

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but if you are talking about pushing data from Excel into a feature data using ESRI Maps for MS Office, I think that is beyond the design of the application.

There are numerous discussions about pushing data from Excel to a SDE feature class.

Perry
0 Kudos