Select to view content in your preferred language

ESRI Maps Web Part-External Data

08-13-2013 05:11 AM
TCDSBUser
New Contributor
Hi,

We are trying out the new ESRI maps web part.

So far, we have

-Installed the ESRI web part on the SharePoint server.
-Added the web part to a site page.
-Connected to the SQL server's Northwind DB using the ESRI maps connect workflow and created the external list with data.

Questions.

-How do we add this "Northwind" external list data to the ESRI maps web part? Currently "Contents" is empty. Even after selecting "Add Data from Arcgis" and searching, we dont see the data from the external list.
-How can we avoid signing in, each time we load the page with the ESRI maps web part?

Appreciate your help.Thanks in advance.

Edit:
We see this error when we get to the enrich data page.

"The portal http://www.arcgis.com is not configurated with any data enrichment server"
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Rajesh,

To answer your question about signing in repeatedly, when working with the Esri Maps Web Part, but the web part in Edit mode first, then sign in, and then Apply the changes to the web part. This stores the credentials in the web part so that you don't have to enter them each time.

As for adding data from SQL server, can you take a look at our help topic Connecting to external data and verify you've followed the steps there.

Also, I haven't seen the error message you report below, but I'll investigate.

Hope that helps,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
TCDSBUser
New Contributor
Hi Katy,

Applying signon changes to the webpart worked. Thanks!

We have followed the steps outlined in the help topic "connecting to external data". The external list with data was created.

But, we are still unable to add/find data/content using the webpart.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Edit:
We have resolved the issue with the content. SharePoint data can be added as content once the web part is in edit mode. Thanks!

But, we still see the error when a list is created from a external data source.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So according to step 2 in Connect to external data—Esri Maps for SharePoint | ArcGIS I should be able to start a workflow, but I don't have any option to under 'Start a New Workflow' (see image from my Sharepoint below). Do I need to setup a workflow in 'Workflow Tasks' under Site Contents>Lists? Or was there something that was missed during the initial install? I don't see anything about this in the Esri Maps for Sharepoint docs.

sharepoint_site_workflows.png

0 Kudos
DaraBurlo
Esri Community Manager

Hi Ben,

The page you are looking at shows the workflows that have not been run, or are in progress of running. When you ran through the BCS wizard, at the end it says Start Workflow. This runs the workflow on the dataset at that time. If you are not seeing any workflows listed on that page, it means the workflow has been completed. Take a look under Site Contents, you should see that your list has been added and that it has been spatially enabled.

Dara

0 Kudos