Select to view content in your preferred language

Symbolizing Polygons based on color attribute from data (quantitative symbolizing).

07-23-2024 07:32 AM
Labels (3)
EdwardGause
Occasional Contributor

I am on latest version of Power BI and ArcGIS Enterprise. I pull in polygon layer we made and published to our local portal in ArcGIS Enterprise. I got the Polygon layer is basically a Subdivision layer to join with the data in Power BI on the name of the subdivision.  Created Slicer and can filter map based on the name of the subdivision in the slicer.  But on Layers-Symbology menu in the map, after choosing that polygon layer for the subdivision, I don't have any options showing up to symbolize, and the quantity value I dropped in the color field attribute on the Power BI Visualization pane doesn't colorize the polygon either.  How do I get the polygons to change color based on the quantitative value I dropped in the color field?

Robert “Edward” Gause, GISP | Director of Information Services | HTC | p 843-369-8483 | www.htcinc.net | This is life. Connet with it.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NaZhang_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @EdwardGause,

Thanks for your question. For now, styling are not supported for added ArcGIS layers. I see here you want to style your joined result layer or based on the Power BI data you dragged to the Color field well if I understand correctly. In the future release, both ArcGIS layers styling and Joined result layer styling will be supported.

Thanks for your patience! And please let me know if you have more questions!

EdwardGause
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response, while it was not what I wanted to hear, it at least lets me know I don't need to research this until your ESRI team upgrades the product again.  I am at least glad, that you all plan on it being in the product.  I have brought this up at the last two ESRI UC Conference, because we need it.  We are currently doing Duct Tape patching to make something useful in Power BI, by getting Centroids for the polygons, and putting a point symbol on the map and coloring the point symbol based on the data, but that is not as nice as coloring a polygon would be.  We have a lot of home-grown polygons representing anything from a Project to a Community Development\Subdivision.  And since Communities are built in phases, they tend to have different budget dollars and we want to do analysis at this phase level. Either way these don't match you standard Country, State, County, Census, Zip and City polygon layers that you do allow colorization symbolization on.   Thank you for your comment.

Robert “Edward” Gause, GISP | Director of Information Services | HTC | p 843-369-8483 | www.htcinc.net | This is life. Connet with it.
0 Kudos