Reference layer loading - when has it finished?

09-06-2017 07:00 AM
MikeHoney
New Contributor II

So I've added an ArcGIS reference layer to my map visual.  As I zoom around on the map it clears those features and re-draws them, which can take a while.  Fair enough, I understand that's some complex computation going on.  

My problem is there's no visual indication of what is happening, besides the reference layer features disappearing and then appearing one-by-one.  How do we know when they have been completed loaded?

I think it would be better to set the "spinner" (animated bars at the bottom left) going until the reference layer redrawing has completed.

Tags (1)
2 Replies
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion that we provide a visual indication while the feature layer is loading - I will pass it along to the team and we will see what we can do. 

0 Kudos
VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

Yes, this feature is quite important indeed. The order of map rendering in the ArcGIS Power BI component seems to be:

1) Basemap

2) Data from Power BI

3) Reference layer(s), if any

Items #1 and #2 typically complete very quickly, often almost instantly. On the other hand #3 takes a long while with some reference layers, sometimes as much as 5-10 seconds.

Another related enhancement that would be great is to make reference layers load faster in the first place. It seems that at least for some reference layers, the full map or another larger-than-visible-area segment may be being processed before the visible region is drawn. The delay in drawing is especially noticeable on heavily zoomed-in regions. Is this the way reference layer rendering currently works?

0 Kudos