Matching data to Reference Layer features

Jump to solution
09-06-2017 06:55 AM
MikeHoney
New Contributor II

I've been given some data where each row has a column that should match the name of a feature within an ArcGIS Reference Layer.  I don't have lat/lon or shape data.  

I would hope to be able to match my data to the features of the Reference Layer, then use the other data attributes to color the features. But we don't appear to have that functionality?

The best I've come up with so far is to get a lat/lon for a point in each feature and add that to the data, then use those fields in the lat/lon wells of the PBI visual.  But it's of course an arbitrary point and the result can be quite distorted (e.g. where should the point be for an oddly-shaped feature).  

I'm also glossing over the challenge of getting those lat/lon values - there doesn't seem to be any easy way to get those values for the features in a given Reference Layer.

Am I missing something?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Mike - you're not missing anything. It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of the current situation. Currently we do not offer the ability to match Power BI business data attributes to ArcGIS reference layer attributes for mapping. It's definitely something we've heard a fair number of requests for, and we are evaluating this feature for inclusion on our roadmap. Thanks for adding your voice to the conversation!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Mike - you're not missing anything. It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of the current situation. Currently we do not offer the ability to match Power BI business data attributes to ArcGIS reference layer attributes for mapping. It's definitely something we've heard a fair number of requests for, and we are evaluating this feature for inclusion on our roadmap. Thanks for adding your voice to the conversation!

deleted-user-7SLqM7dlvYNN
New Contributor III

Hi Scott, any indication on when this might be possible? Without this functionality the Power BI integration is fairly limited for our purposes as you have to be working with addresses or 'nationally' defined boundaries. We've got service provider boundaries, sites, office locations etc. we'd love to be able to link to.

ChristyTaddei
New Contributor III

That is a feature we would like also.