Select to view content in your preferred language

Is this integration dead?

Jump to solution
04-22-2018 12:51 AM
MikeHoney
Occasional Contributor

It seems momentum on the Power BI Visual for ArcGIS has totally stalled, which is a real shame.  It's been 10 months since the "GA" release and the only enhancement since was the Plus subscription integration - 5 months ago.

As it stands I can't recommend any of my clients use this - even existing clients of ArcGIS are looking at alternatives.

Are there any plans to address the many functionality gaps and enhancement requests raised? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Mike - it's definitely not dead. We've rolled out the large updates you've mentioned and we've also rolled out smaller updates fixing many quality of life issues along the way. For example we completely re-wrote how we handle polygon generalization across scales. It is much improved and no longer results in 'abstract art' when zoomed in looking at polygon boundaries. 

Lately we've been working on two big projects - 1) the ability for ArcGIS Online customers to sign in and use their private feature layers and custom basemaps, and 2) the ability for organizations to purchase Plus enterprise-wide. You should see both of those released very soon.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Mike - it's definitely not dead. We've rolled out the large updates you've mentioned and we've also rolled out smaller updates fixing many quality of life issues along the way. For example we completely re-wrote how we handle polygon generalization across scales. It is much improved and no longer results in 'abstract art' when zoomed in looking at polygon boundaries. 

Lately we've been working on two big projects - 1) the ability for ArcGIS Online customers to sign in and use their private feature layers and custom basemaps, and 2) the ability for organizations to purchase Plus enterprise-wide. You should see both of those released very soon.

YoavRappaport
Regular Contributor

Hi Scott: Thank you for the update. This helps us so much to know where you are heading. We want to be able to provide our clients the correct advise when choosing their BI tool. We've seen some going to Tableau, and one of the things we hear (right or wrong) is that their mapping is superior to Power BI (PBI). I feel that with the introduction of private feature layers it will drive business towards PBI. We'll be able to add features through collector/Survey123 (or other processes), maintain attributes through our various advanced forms solutions and see it all in PBI. PBI has good symbology and basic spatial selection (we always want more options here - select by radius, remove from selection based on another layer, etc). We understand you have priorities. Keep encouraging the dev team, and tell them we're watching for updates and using the tools.

MikeHoney
Occasional Contributor

That's great news - thanks for the update.  I encourage you to share your plans as early as you can and engage with the community here e.g. for roadmap discussions, beta previews etc. For example I follow this space quite closely and I was completely unaware of those "smaller updates" you mentioned. That is good news that could be shared.  Do you have any further info on those that you can point us at?

0 Kudos