ArcGIS GIS in PowerBI Web Holding Cookies

Jump to solution
01-21-2022 07:56 AM
BenHolmes1
New Contributor III

Hi

We're having an issue where our dashboards (published on PowerBI web) are holding the Portal for ArcGIS cookie past their expiry.

When users initially look at the dashboard with the map, it works fine.

Later on, they get the blank Visualiser with the Connect to ArcGIS button.

Clicking the button at this point has no effect.

Looking in the Chrome Developer tools, I see it gives an invalid token message for Portal. Same issue happens in Chrome and Edge.

Going into the cookies and clearing out the app.powerbi cookies is the current workaround, but we don't want to have to tell all users to do this.

Is this an issue with PowerBI/ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI or just a simple case of checking on some tickbox to force the PowerBI web app to clear the token cookie?

Regards

Ben

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenHolmes1
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew

We heard back from Microsoft and they suggested switching on the infrastructure update in PowerBI Desktop before publishing the dashboard.

In: File > Options and settings > Options

Then: Global > Preview features

ArcGISMapsForPowerBI_PortalTokenIssue_A_202201.png

That seems to fix it. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

When someone signs into ArcGIS from the Report, are you also checking this option to "Keep me signed in" ?

AndrewStauffer_0-1643061731994.png

0 Kudos
BenHolmes1
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew

The Portal in question is set up to use the users AD details to log in. 

I believe it's done via SAML.

Most users will get the following prompt and then simply click the blue button.

ArcGISMapsForPowerBI_PortalTokenIssue_202201.png

There is an option to define the login and enter the details in the ArcGIS login section at the bottom. That does include the option to tick off "keep signed in". But like I say, most users won't even look at that. It's a workaround at best.

I need to have another look at it tomorrow.

Regards

Ben

0 Kudos
BenHolmes1
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew

We heard back from Microsoft and they suggested switching on the infrastructure update in PowerBI Desktop before publishing the dashboard.

In: File > Options and settings > Options

Then: Global > Preview features

ArcGISMapsForPowerBI_PortalTokenIssue_A_202201.png

That seems to fix it. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the follow up Ben!

Our development teams met and have discussed what is included in the Infrastructure Update, and we are working through some changes to honor it once it is no longer a preview feature. We put in a fix/change that was impacting boundary matching, but this one is new to me and our team will review it.

For our next updates moving forward we will publish a list of what's included or changed in the release to GeoNet so that you can keep track and be aware when we can fully support the Infrastructure Update.

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos
BenHolmes1
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew, 

One thing to note with my issue.

This is in a large client organisation, so they are still using the October 2021 version. 

I have made them aware that having the preview infrastructure features may cause other issues when upgrading to later versions. 

Can cross that bridge when they update!

Cheers

Ben

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

We made some changes to accommodate for references that got changed, and it 'should' work with the infrastructure preview enabled. That said we have been seeing this in testing the February release. In theory it should work with October as well, but we have not been testing against that release of Power BI.

Please try to clear the cache, and then see if everything works with the infrastructure preview turned on.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/power-bi/get-started/clear-browser-storage.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_E57387BD989D4...

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos
MarkWestergaard
New Contributor III

I experienced the issue with the Connect button having no effect just yesterday on an existing published report. The same issue happened when I opened the report in the desktop app, which I had just worked on a couple of days ago. Clearing cookies for app.powerbi.com fixed the browser and switching off the Preview Feature "Power BI Desktop infrastructure update" fixed the desktop app. Something fishy with WebView2? I noticed an update to 2022.1.98 just this morning, but I am able to recreate the issue on the desktop with the preview feature turned back on. Power BI version is 2.102.622.0 64-bit (February 2022).

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@MarkWestergaard The issues with Preview Infrastructure are fixed in 2022.1.98. The login issue is inconsistent and we're working to identify a root cause on this one.

BenHolmes1
New Contributor III

Further info

We found the switching on Preview Features, for the PowerBI (Oct 2021) version, did appear to fix the issue.

However 2 weeks later, the issue reappeared.

Basically, it looked like preview features changed the token expiry from 1 hour to 2 weeks.

Current workaround is to set Chrome to delete app.powerbi.com cookies when the session is closed.

Saves having to do that manually.

BenHolmes1_0-1645022159014.png

Cheers

Ben