Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS for PowerBI

08-21-2023 03:16 AM
NisreenAlhindi
Occasional Contributor

Could anyone clarify how I can connect to Microsoft Power BI without using any CSV files using ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer? 

Please note that I am able to connect to all the features using ArcGIS For the PowerBI tool in the software but I need to use the fields and the data without exporting it as an excel sheet.

I hope my idea is clear.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nisreen

0 Kudos
17 Replies
LeslieUK
Esri Contributor

Hi @NisreenAlhindi 

I am not entirely sure what you are going for. If you are asking whether you can just use ArcGIS Online content on its own in the Power BI plugin, this is not possible. You must have data from Power BI to drive the plugin initially as it will be your data layer. The layers that come from ArcGIS Online are reference layers.

~Just trying to fix things~
0 Kudos
NisreenAlhindi
Occasional Contributor

Hello Dear,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!

My workflow is adding a hosted feature layer from ArcGIS Online to PowerBI using the Map tool and that's working fine.

However, my concern if there is any was to show the table or layer fields on PowerBI without adding them as a CSV file or JSON format "Without GetData" 

Regards,

Nisreen.

0 Kudos
Faiez
by
Frequent Contributor

Hi!

Without access to the data sources nothing could be happen. You can import simple excel files and from Data/Drill button you can turn it On/Off the visual table.

Export reports from Power BI to PDF Only 3070 pages.

Attached please also find ArcGIS Maps for Power BI.

Best,

Faiez

0 Kudos
Faiez
by
Frequent Contributor

Hi Nisreen!

Here are some steps to get connected to ArcGIS Online without using any CSV, PDF or excel files.

You have to open the ArcGIS Power BI first.

1. File>Options and settings>Options>Security>Check Use ArcGIS for Power BI>Ok

Faiez_0-1692700191422.png

2. File>Options and settings> Data sources setting>Global permission> close

3. Home (in Power BI)>Get data>Web>Web views>Enable web previews>load data>check the files

4. Expand map tools> Add context>Reference layer> Select ArcGIS> Add your map or features layers.

Through the above mentioned steps I have got this:

Faiez_0-1692659546529.png

Best, 

Faiez

0 Kudos
NisreenAlhindi
Occasional Contributor

Dear Faiez,

Thank you for all of these details, I really appreciate them!

Actually, I have already done that but my concern was if there is any way to show the table fields instead of importing CSV or JSON format to PowerBI since this behavior will not reflect any live data on the charts and on the used tools if the feature layer data is updated on ArcGIS Online.

Best regards,

Nisreen.

0 Kudos
CesarWesterhof
New Contributor

Hi

I'm trying to execute your instructions but cannot find what you explain in the 3d point. 

After choosing web, there is no other option to choose. Which means that I miss "Web views>Enable web previews>load data>check the files" part. Please help. 

CesarWesterhof_1-1696002425123.png

After choosing "web" I het the following screen: 

CesarWesterhof_0-1696002382199.png

Please help.

Kind regards, 

Cesar

0 Kudos
Faiez
by
Frequent Contributor

Hi Cesar!

Just write the URL, from where you want to bring more data, otherwise you can continue with your excel data. It provides additional sources.

Best,

Faiez

0 Kudos
CesarWesterhof
New Contributor

Maybe you can help me with another issue. I' a newbie. I'm work at an organization that has GIS enterprise. I would like to count the quantity of connections inatlledd in certain areas. I live in a pretty small island, so GIS is not recognizing (neither the Microsoft maps component) addresses, cities, areas etc. But the company used GIS to getter GEO info of the connections. In GIS the connections can be seen on the map of Curacao. If I use the powerbi component I do not know what t use as GEO location. I'm combining data coming from an ERP system, but the geo location information is not in the ERP systems. After some research, a collegae told me that the globalId is being saved with the object connection information(in a table in ERP). I thought, maybe I can use the GlobalId in combination with the GIS component to show the connection on the map, but nothing is happening. I'm logging in Gis for powerBi component with my enterprise account. What I am doing wrong?  

0 Kudos
Faiez
by
Frequent Contributor

Hi!

It depends to the type of your ERP system and GIS Server configuration and operating system. Try the ways that is easy and has been used before for extracting data from ERP system in your office. I think all data in ERP system store in one place that make it easy for all members to have accesses to it. You can get the number of connection through the Server by writing a formula or via excel data.  ERP is integrated platform and it automatically  collects the geo location data.

Good luck.

0 Kudos