Join layer on Power BI applicable when menu not open.

06-16-2022 12:20 AM
FMGLGIS
New Contributor III

Please enable the join layer functionality even when the widget's settings pane is not open. It currently only operates as expected when the join layer is open, which requires dashboard users to go through 4-5 menus to get to this option. This is not reasonable to expect a dashboard viewer/non gis user to do.

I would like the users to use filters on the rest of the dashboards page and have the map filter to the joined features, without having to set it up each time.

Details: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-for-power-bi-questions/arcgis-maps-for-power-bi-join-feature-no... 

12 Comments
DarylV
by

Completely agree. Most (or all?) visuals in powerbi behave with 'filter-on-click' functionality for joined data. Please can this visual be able to filter on join layer in the same way. Having to open the join menu is not intuitive. If not the default functionality, at least could this style of interaction be enabled in the settings via toggle?

Also, once the filtering is selected, can a 'auto zoom to selected' function automatically be called. Or, again, can this option be available via a toggle?

RodPBI
by

I think the functionality that Esri is bringing to the visual is awesome, and it gets better with every release.  However, this Idea has to be high on the list.  The ability to join is soooo cool, but rendered useless for our target user because of this issue.  Heck, an interim solution that allows direct interaction with no extra steps using just a feature layer from AGOL or Portal would be great (if such a solution helps the effort).

by Anonymous User

Fully agree; our use case is discussed in the mentioned thread ArcGIS Maps for Power Bi join feature not work... - Esri Community . Requiring users to open the join widget to have the join functionality and filters work isn't useable.

RemoteMC

Fully agree, this should be a priority.This should be the default functionality for user experience and usability. Moreover, it blocks quite some extent of the maps' information. 

StevenBowden

Completely agree that this should be fixed ASAP.  This can't be rolled out organisational wide or used in an Enterprise situation as it currently stands.

MorganPenk

I just want to comment in hopes that this issue becomes addressed!! This is the one of the most important features of Power BI ArcGIS map and it unusable in its current state. It has been over two years since I have seen comments mentioning this and no updates as of yet. 

JoeBryant1

Another upvote to fix this issue ASAP! It looks very bad when you are developing dashboards for a large organization that has invested heavily in ESRI software to have to use a third party solution outside of ArcGIS to achieve simple join filtering for Power BI. Lots of promise, but currently un-usable.

Sam_Keast

How has this not been implemented yet? We've got users jumping over to MapBox to run simple joins to tables, despite investing in ESRI tech overall as an organization.

I'm not sure what use case exists for a "join feature" that only works when the user has navigated into a menu system and left the join window open?

This functionality is sorely needed to make ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI even worth considering as an option

BenClark

I was taken aback when I learned today that the join settings don't persist once the window is closed. Please, please fix this ASAP, ESRI. The join function is practically useless in its current state.

InsaH
by

Fully agree, this should be a priority, please!