Select to view content in your preferred language

Target Specific Organization Locator with GETCOORDINATES

Jump to solution
07-28-2023 12:31 PM
LucianStewart2
Emerging Contributor

Hello,

I have set up a custom locator in our enterprise portal and I want users to be able to target it using ARCGIS.GETCOORDINATES(). I have tested the locator and it performs as I'd like it to, but I don't know how to target it in Excel. Do I set a parameter in the function? Do I need to configure something in the portal?

Thank you,

Lucian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucianStewart2
Emerging Contributor

Through my support case, we discovered a defect that has been logged as BUG-000160881. It is not possible to target a composite locator hosted in Enterprise Portal with ARCGIS.GETCOORDINATES.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Good morning! Thank you for sharing the intended workflow. In short, to answer your question, using the ArcGIS for Excel app will use the geocoder that is set within your enterprise/portal organizational acount. With that said, there would be no need to necessarily 'set' a custom locator specific to ARCGIS.GETCOORDINATES. 

Please let me know if this explanation helped or you have further questions. 

All the best, 

Shannon

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
LucianStewart2
Emerging Contributor

Thank you for the response, Shannon. To provide some detail on the issue, I have published a locator that uses a projected coordinate system that we use throughout our organization. I've also added the locator to the "Utility Services" in the enterprise portal. I now have two locators there - the one I published and the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service.

think by listing it first under "Utility Services", that is causing Excel to find and use it. For instance, if I run the below function, it returns the correct address when reverse geocoding. I feel like it is using my locator because I am giving it coordinates in North Carolina State Plane.

=ARCGIS.GETADDRESS(1952405.47, 714505.52)

- Returns correct address: 466 Industrial Park Dr, Pittsboro, 27312

However, if I run the .GETCOORDINATES on the same address, it returns an error.

=ARCGIS.GETCOORDINATES("466 Industrial Park Dr, Pittsboro, 27312")

-Value Not Available Error

-I'll also add that I have tried inputting the WKID (as integer and string) into the second parameter as well.

Is there a setting I am missing in the locator configuration itself or do I need to set this up the utility  service item differently in Portal?

Thank you!

Lucian

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

You are correct in that, the first geocoder in the portal will be used. For configuring a specific one in Excel, we have an enhancement request pending. In short, there is no setting or configuration you are missing. 

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
LucianStewart2
Emerging Contributor

Okay, I have it listed as the first. The function is still not working. However, I can get the addresses to plot as points using the "Add from Excel" tool in the map. It will only plot them if I split the address into multiple fields. It will not plot them if the same data exists in a single cell. 

I have a support ticket open and will share findings in this thread.

LucianStewart2
Emerging Contributor

Through my support case, we discovered a defect that has been logged as BUG-000160881. It is not possible to target a composite locator hosted in Enterprise Portal with ARCGIS.GETCOORDINATES.

0 Kudos