Select to view content in your preferred language

Disable ArcGIS for Excel start-up screens

10-16-2023 10:59 PM
DavidHorsey
New Contributor II

Is it possible to disable the start-up screens in ArcGIS for Excel? 

I intend to make ArcGIS for Excel available in my organisation and I think only a small number of users will be authoring maps using it, and the bulk of the users will be using maps made for them. We don't have ArcGIS Online accounts for everyone, so most maps will be showing data from the Excel worksheet and publicly available Living Atlas data.

So, most users will be sent Excel files containing configured maps, and I want Excel to open with the map showing the relevant data. However, if the user hasn't used the add-in before, when they open the Excel file, they will be required to go through the start-up screens before the map showing the data appears:

DavidHorsey_1-1697521829716.png

This doesn't add value to those users and will lead to confusion/questions, so I'd like to disable these screen if possible,

I don't know if this makes a difference to any potential solution, but I intend to make ArcGIS for Excel available as an "Admin Managed" add-in:

DavidHorsey_0-1697521128940.png

Tags (2)
3 Replies
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Thanks for reaching out and for your suggestion.

At this point, I don't believe disabling the start-up screen is an option. (I would wait for a more authoritative response, however.)

Your use case for wanting it removed by default makes sense to me. 

I'm sure the dev team consider it!

Thanks, @DavidHorsey

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
DavidHorsey
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response, @Ian_Muehlenhaus. I'm glad the use case made sense and hopefully others agree (if disabling the start-up screen is not already an option).

I'll give it a few more days to see if anyone else responds, and if it's not possible (or no one responds) I'll put it up on ArcGIS for Excel Ideas - Esri Community

0 Kudos
DavidHorsey
New Contributor II
0 Kudos