Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS for Excel: Map doesn't display when workbook reopened

01-27-2024 01:02 PM
EricKlein1
New Contributor II

Previously working map with several layers doesn't display when workbook reopened.  Just see the ArcGIS for Excel icons and white space where the map should display.  See attached screenshot.  

I can see the list of layers if I click on the layers icon, but clicking the carat icon for each just shows "No legend".  Signing in again doesn't help.

Using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1.

Any ideas what might cause this?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Hey there @EricKlein1, thanks for reaching out!

From the screenshot, I wonder if this is an environment-specific error. Can you open the same map/excel workbook signed into arcgis.com, rather than enterprise? Also are you able to see other projects using the same Enterprise environment? Maybe this could also be specific to the excel workbook. What we would need to do here is the process of elimination. Let me know your thoughts and if you are able to try some of the options I mentioned.

Best,

SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
EricKlein1
New Contributor II
  • I can create new maps with ArcGIS for Excel when connected to either Enterprise or AGOL.
  • If I open the workbook with the blank map panel, I can sign in to Enterprise (which is what the user used when creating the map); however that does not restore access to the map.  It does not allow me to switch to sign in to AGOL instead since the map was created while connected to Enterprise.
  • We just provided the original author an AGOL account to see if he can recreate the map there and then see if it disappears on a subsequent sign  in.
  • I have a suspicion that the issue might be related to timeout of the token used on our Enterprise SSO login, but I could be wrong.
0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Thanks again for the additional information. I will wait to hear back from you regarding the SSO login idea. I was also chatting about this issue with our developer and it was mentioned you may need to reset the map so reset the connection. See screenshot below - 

Snag_419b4134.png

Snag_419b6798.png

SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
EricKlein1
New Contributor II

Thank you for your research and response.  While the Reset Map button does indeed allow sign in to a different portal, it also completely wipes out the existing map, so does not appear to be useful as a mechanism to recover the previously-created map. 

I think a key question here is how well does ArcGIS for Excel, when a map has been created while connected using an SSO-based sign-in handle the situation when the original authorization token expires.

I'll ask the user to try, for now, to see if he can recreate his map while signed in to ArcGIS Online using a built-in account rather than signed in to ArcGIS Enterprise using an SSO based signin.  That said, our organization is mandating that we shift to SSO-based signins on ArcGIS Online in the near future so a built in account might not be a viable long term solution. 

0 Kudos