I want to see the data table of a service in Excel

06-15-2023 06:52 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have been bugging the ArcGIS for Office group for years to allow me to see the data form a service in excel.  I even met them in person.  It would be so cool to just add a service URL in excel and see the table. I try really hard to not do exports in my workflows.  Just an antiquated workflow.  I have been trying to use the Office integration since the day it came out.  All of my use cases are seeing data in excel and not once has anyone wanted a map in excel.

This would be a home run!  Please consider its been so many, many years now.  

Thanks

36 Comments
DougBrowning

@ShannonCardoza  @SeanKMcGinnis  

It looks like you removed the download and install option now?  IT will not enable the Microsoft store for us at all.  So now we are stuck.  I got a whole group really excited about it too.

Is there any way to readd a install of some kind?  I think many IT depts block the store so there really needs to be some option.

thanks!

SeanKMcGinnis

Hi @DougBrowning - a couple of questions up front to build my understanding and help find a solution for you:

• Are you in a Government tenant (GCC low, high, DoD, sovereign)?
  • Within your environment, are you able to access the public internet?

Some background on ArcGIS for Excel - as we rewrote the application, we migrated to the SaaS approach Microsoft has for other apps, which is utilizing the App Store as the method for delivery and updates. I understand some organizational IT shops do not allow you to access the App Store and that can be problematic. To be honest, we are not able to access the App Store directly at Esri either. What we did internally was have the conversation with our IT group to have them approve it and it became available as an admin managed add in. This allowed them to do their vulnerability testing and feel comfortable with it in their environment.

Given the rate we are building new capabilities, we are staying away from single installs and taking advantage of the version management and updates through Microsoft. If we update a capability or make a major change in the backend logic, there is a chance that would have an adverse effect on a manually installed add-in.

One option would be bringing ArcGIS for Excel in as a self-managed add-in, but there are a number of considerations in implementing that approach that would possibly require a conversations with the IT shop and additional management of the add in within your environment.

DougBrowning

Thanks @SeanKMcGinnis your comments helped and I have been working with IT on it all day.  They did set it up as a managed add-in as they are ok with that just not the store.  But we can't get it to show up for new users yet.  For users that used the old one we still have it and it updates.  I will report back.  We are US Federal Govt.  

SeanKMcGinnis

You are welcome @DougBrowning - I am glad it helped.

Please do keep me posted, if you are OK with it, I would like to take some of your lessons learned to  share with the broader community to help them address some of the issues you have encountered.

SaraVanNingen1

Is the toggle switch for "add attribute table" only for the Enterprise version? I am not able to load tables from feature layers when logged into AGOL and would like to be able to pull these tables into GIS.

ShannonCardoza

@SaraVanNingen1 The 'add attribute table' is available in the web browser and Enterprise version. When you add layers from ArcGIS Online and the 'add attribute table' is toggled on, the attribute table is added in a new worksheet (feature layers only). I would suggest double-checking the layer type. 

SaraVanNingen1

@ShannonCardoza When I select any feature layer from AGOL while using ArcGIS For Excel, I can pull in the layer, but I am not seeing the "add attribute table" at all (see screenshot for reference). It pulls in the layer but all I see is the legend which I can toggle on and off, but the table never comes through. My excel sheet remains blank with no new tabs. What is the best way to trouble shoot this.

SaraVanNingen1_0-1692037252638.png

JenniferMcCollom1

I just want to chime in and say that I'd like this extension to recognize the stand-alone tables (usually related tables) that are part of a service when you connect to the AGOL account and look at the contents of your folders or within an Item that has both feature layers and tables.

ShannonCardoza

@SaraVanNingen1 Good morning! The 'Add attribute table' will be accessible if the correct role/permission is assigned. I believe it needs to be at the Creator permissions level. Creators can create and edit content such as maps and apps, perform spatial analysis using the analysis tools in ArcGIS Online, collect data, and collaborate and share content for use in apps. We need the 'access' to use the analysis tools. Can you verify what role is assigned?

See the User types for more information and let me know if this fixed the issue. 

ShannonCardoza

Hey there, @JenniferMcCollom1. Thank you for the feedback! If I understand correctly, we are doing most of what you asked. We currently recognize the attribute tables that are 'part' of the feature service when adding the layer from AGOL. However, can you explain what you mean when you say, "look at the contents of your folders or within an item that has both feature layers and tables"?

The anaylsis tool already 'looks' at the associated table in order to add it as a new sheet in the workbook. What would be the additional step you'd like to see happen? 

One more thought, for stand-alone tables, do you mean excel tables (not associated) with a feature service?