I want to see the data table of a service in Excel

06-15-2023 06:52 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have been bugging the ArcGIS for Office group for years to allow me to see the data form a service in excel.  I even met them in person.  It would be so cool to just add a service URL in excel and see the table. I try really hard to not do exports in my workflows.  Just an antiquated workflow.  I have been trying to use the Office integration since the day it came out.  All of my use cases are seeing data in excel and not once has anyone wanted a map in excel.

This would be a home run!  Please consider its been so many, many years now.  

Thanks

36 Comments
ShannonCardoza
Status changed to: Implemented

ShannonCardoza
Status changed to: In Product Plan

ShannonCardoza

This is an awesome addition and we appreciate the feedback @DougBrowning @ScottFortman1 🤝

DougBrowning

Ok for my next crazy idea @ShannonCardoza  can you some how add photo links in?  Esp from 123 forms this would be super sweet!  Even just a URL that opens a page would be great.  

Then I thought popups.. Most of my images are in a repeat table though.  But one layer I tried I noticed I can turn popups on and make an active layer but I cannot turn off the other layers?  Hard to find the right symbol when they are all stacking up on each other.  Unless I am missing something?  Not seeing a TOC in excel.

I am going to try and make a map, enable photos in the popup and see if I can get it.  Has anyone tried this yet?

Answered my own question and its a yes!  Hopefully I can figure out a repeat.  Still stacking issues though.  Update I got a repeat table of photos to work also.

DougBrowning_0-1711494268891.png

Also If you select a record in the table does it select it in the map?  Does not seem to.  Also to be able to select map records and it selects in Excel would be really cool.  Then also on to filter in excel filters the map.

thanks

ShannonCardoza

@DougBrowning calling all ideas even the crazy ones! 😊

I think you will just love, love the new UI/UX experience we have coming in ArcGIS for Excel (and the other Microsoft 365 components such as Sharepoint). Stay tuned!

QuantitativeFuturist

@ShannonCardoza Big thanks to you and your team for being so open to ideas and responding quickly with implementations. This is a breath of fresh air for us as long time esri users, other teams in esri could learn a lot from your team. Keep up the great work!