Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS for Excel 2024.1.0.0.24 New feature for ArcGIS for Excel

03-06-2024 12:23 PM
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor
2 4 876

ArcGIS for Excel 2024.1.0.0.24 Update

What is new in the latest version of ArcGIS for Excel? Take a seat and let us chat! 

We are pleased to share the latest update for ArcGIS for Excel 2024.1.0.0.24 will bring you a new feature, a new feature requested by you, our users **insert wave of excitement**. 

This update supports ADDING HOSTED TABLES. You can add and edit data in standalone and related tables or join tables that are associated with a remotely hosted ArcGIS layer in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise. ArcGIS for Excel supports inserting new records in the table.  

In addition, if you are using Survey123 you can seamlessly bring data from Excel for reading and editing purposes. 

Workflow 

Adding Hosted tables 

This will look remarkably familiar to the + ArcGIS workflow. Select Add from ArcGIS and search for the desired table. In this example, I am looking for a table titled, JoinTables_Example within My Organization.  

ShannonCardoza_0-1709756267501.png

Select Add to map.  

ShannonCardoza_1-1709756267502.png

Note: the icon which represents ‘tables. This will help differentiate the data types. 

Once the data is added to the Excel worksheet, you can continue to add additional layers or begin working within the Excel sheet.  

ShannonCardoza_2-1709756267507.png

Format Data 

For this example, I would like to continue my workflow and format a column, titled Zip. Under my Home tab in Excel, I will select the drop-down from the Number format options and select the option for the Zip code formatting under the Special categories and select Ok. 

ShannonCardoza_3-1709756267510.png

See, Create and apply a custom number format for additional information 

Editing Hosted table 

Now that the field is formatted correctly in Excel, I will select Show layer details. It will open the URL in a new webpage from My Organization. 

ShannonCardoza_4-1709756267511.png

Next, select the Data tab and then select the Table view. 

ShannonCardoza_5-1709756267513.png

See, Open the items detail page for further information 

My editing will take place in row 1, column titled Zip, and I will change this cell/field to 92374. 

ShannonCardoza_6-1709756267516.png

Sync’ing my work

Now let us come back to ArcGIS for Excel and select Bring layer updates to Excel in the layers pane.  

ShannonCardoza_7-1709756267520.png

Upon the refresh, our edit can be seen and updated in our attribute table! In addition, you may use this workflow on the contrary. Edits in Excel can be performed but you must share the layer first or after sharing the layer update the layer in ArcGIS Online and re-share. 

ShannonCardoza_8-1709756267521.png

We hope you will enjoy this new feature update and find it useful for your work. If you have any feedback, questions, or issues, please feel free to comment on this blog post.  

Thank you for using ArcGIS for Excel. Until next time. 

4 Comments
QuantitativeFuturist
Occasional Contributor

@ShannonCardoza I've been testing this a bit today and am able to successfully add related tables which is a huge improvement, thank you. One thing that I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a way to select the related record from the geometry? If I select the geometry I can zoom to the map and it selects the row in that table, but there doesn't seem to be a way to use the geometry selection to select the related record(s) in the other tabs in the excel sheets? Also there is no Global ID visible in the geometry which I assume is intentional as you don't want it to be editable, however then we're unable to use that key to either search or build a lookup. Am I missing something, or is this in the product plan going forward?

ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

@QuantitativeFuturist Thank you for the feedback. Please find the answers to your questions below:

1. One thing that I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a way to select the related record from the geometry?
    1. Correct, there is no button per say to 'click' to achieve this.
  2. If I select the geometry I can zoom to the map and it selects the row in that table, but there doesn't seem to be a way to use the geometry selection to select the related record(s) in the other tabs in the excel sheets? 
    1. You can find that manually by matching the IDs from Table 1 to Table 2, but we don't have a "button" to go to the related row automatically.
  3. Am I missing something, or is this in the product plan going forward?
    1. You are not missing anything! However, I have logged this workflow as a potential enhancement request. I will share feedback with our team and post here once I have an update. 

I hope this information was helpful! Please let me know if you have any other questions/suggestions.

All the best, 

SC

cat206
by
Occasional Contributor II

Is there any roadmap/timeline for being able to Insert a new row operation in excel to add a new point in the feature layer automatically? At the moment I get "Inserting a new row operation is not supported at this time."

Add and Edit ArcGIS Layer Attribute Data in an Excel Worksheet (esri.com)

ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

@cat206 Good afternoon, thank you for the inquiry! At this time, we do not have a timeline to support inserting a new row operation. However, we have some great stuff planned for our UC 2024 release! Stay tuned...

About the Author
Shannon has been with Esri since 2010. She is a Product Engineer on the ArcGIS for Microsoft 365 team with prior experience as a GIS Analyst and Support Service Representative for Esri's Support Services team. She holds an MBA degree from Grand Canyon University and a Business Management degree from the University of Redlands. As a Redlands native, she enjoys sharing the history of the town with others. In her spare time, you are likely to find Shannon enjoying quality time with her furbabies, tending to her mini farm, and traveling with her family.