Select to view content in your preferred language

Update Non-Spatial Table related to a Feature Layer

12-04-2023 04:45 PM
sam-gartrell
New Contributor II

I'm trying to configure an ArcGIS Field Maps inspection tool for electric/telephone pole inspections. The project takes place in ArcGIS Online, and the field workers plan to use field maps for iOS. I have primarily been working in Field Maps Designer.

The issue is that I have a non-spatial table called `PoleInspections` stored in ArcGIS Online related to a feature layer of the pole features it inspects. Workers need to be able to create any number of inspection records in the non-spatial table that correspond to a given record in the poles feature class. However, the option to interact with related records from nonspatial tables is currently restricted for mobile field maps users:

samgartrell_0-1701736727877.png

I've tried creating a Field Maps form on the actual `PoleInspections` table but the Field Maps platform seems to only support forms for spatial data in the web map.

Is there a workaround that people have discovered for this use case? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The workaround is to make it a spatial layer.  There are tons of benefits to this.  For one you know where the inspector was.  We have users add records to the wrong parent all the time but with spatial that is easy to fix.  Also mapping.  You can map all the current inspections, symbolize a map by last inspection, etc. Making Dashboards,etc all becomes easier also.  The list goes on. 

0 Kudos
sam-gartrell
New Contributor II

Thanks for responding so quickly, Doug. Is it possible to configure 1:M relationships between the two feature layers? I'm having a hard time finding documentation.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes you can relate anything.  For now you can add new related features But as the message says for now I do not think editing of it is supported in Field Maps Designer.  I think it was set for end of year?  Sorry not sure.   It was tables not features in some parts and features not tables in others.  For now it should work mostly by skipping designer.  I still do it all in Map Viewer classic using feature templates.  

Well looks like its just tables for now so my comment may be premature depending on exactly what you need.  This might give you some hints on getting around it for now.  https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/introducing-related-record-editing-i... 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-questions/field-map-designer-related-records-not-cur...

0 Kudos