Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to add feature in FieldMaps without downloaded offline area

Jump to solution
12-29-2021 10:34 AM
kelahall
Emerging Contributor

Hello,

I am switching from using Collector to Field Maps. I am currently unable to add a feature on Field Maps without a downloaded offline area. If I download an offline area, I am able to add features, sync, and they upload successfully. But without an offline area downloaded, my features disappear when I try to add them. 

I imagine this is a settings problem, but cannot figure out how to enable non downloaded area feature additions. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@kelahall 

Are you able to add/submit features but they disappear from view afterwards? Perhaps there is a filter, definition query, symbology with 100% transparency or an editing setting (ie: "Editors cant see any features, even those they add"); any of these could make a feature disappear from view when created. However this should also happen in the offline map but may not occur until the sync if processed (in some of the cases). Check the data online or in the database to see if features are actually being added in the Online case. There is no setting that dictates a layer can only be edited offline. 

Can you confirm Online edits work in Collector on the same map?

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@kelahall 

Are you able to add/submit features but they disappear from view afterwards? Perhaps there is a filter, definition query, symbology with 100% transparency or an editing setting (ie: "Editors cant see any features, even those they add"); any of these could make a feature disappear from view when created. However this should also happen in the offline map but may not occur until the sync if processed (in some of the cases). Check the data online or in the database to see if features are actually being added in the Online case. There is no setting that dictates a layer can only be edited offline. 

Can you confirm Online edits work in Collector on the same map?

Regards,
Colin
kelahall
Emerging Contributor

@ColinLawrence 

Okay I figured out what my problem was! When testing out adding a feature on FieldMaps I was not entering any data within the fields of my form for my feature. When nothing was entered, the feature would disappear after trying to submit. But when I do enter data into the form the feature remains and is added. Although I'm confused because all of the fields in my form allow for null values, so uncertain why I could not add features with no data entered into the form. 

Thanks for the help!

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Still sounds a little strange. Is the symbology possibly driven by one of the fields? Perhaps the template is set so if there is a null value then the symbology is fully transparent.

If the fields were required it would not let you submit in the first place; you should get an error and helper text under each required field. Are you sure you are not getting an error?

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
kelahall
Emerging Contributor

@ColinLawrence 

Oh shoot! Yes I am now seeing that my numerous 'test' additions of features are showing up when I look at the webmap on AGOL (as well as on the Data tab for the particular feature layer), but they are not visible when looking on mobile FieldMaps. Does this still sound like a symbology issue to you? If so I am going to try and correct that as I do not want added features to be transparent even if they have null values.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@kelahall If you see them in the Web Map in AGOL then it is not the symbology. One other thing I forgot to mention is that there could be a visibility range set on the layer so features do not draw outside of certain scales. This would not be on by default but you can check for it in the Web Map in AGOL. 

You could try adding the data to a new map and see if the same issue is reproducible. That might tell you if it was something changed in the map settings that is causing this behavior. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
kelahall
Emerging Contributor

Ah. I am realizing there was indeed a filter set on the Web Map on AGOL that had been excluding any features without an associated GPS date, and thus all of my test features were being hidden from view. I had removed the filter temporarily when I wanted to see if my test features were visible on AGOL, and had not saved my Web Map and had not put two and two together. 

Oof well I will not be making this mistake again! Thank you for all the help!