Smart form wiped out when changing pop up?

11-08-2021 12:12 PM
DaronNichols
New Contributor III

So I just spent several hours building a smart form and it turned out great. I realized I needed to make a couple tweaks to the popup in the web map, mainly the title of the pop up and remaining the table the form is consuming.

Now all of my work is gone. The Smart Form has returned to its default state wiping out hours of work.

Is this a bug?

Is there a way to undo this? if not, is there a way to save a "copy" of a customized smart form?

It seems dangerous that another member of my organization (or myself) can accidently wipe out the entire form, without any warning they are doing so, just by tweaking the pop up.

5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello!

This happened to me when I was using Map Viewer Classic to configure pop ups. I spoke to someone at Esri about it and they thought it might be a compatibility issue between Map Viewer Classic and Field Maps. I have made changes to the pop up in the New Map Viewer and it has not yet deleted my forms in Field Maps. What I have gathered is don't save anything in Map Viewer Classic, only press "Save" in the New Map Viewer when making changes to anything map related. 

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
DaronNichols
New Contributor III

So, I've been trying to replicate this and I figured out the actual problem.

I had a version of the web map open, that had been opened BEFORE I created the smart form. When I made changes to the old version of the map and saved it, it saved the old version (with out the smart form JSON) and thus wiped out my smart form. I was able to replicate this, and have it roll back to an old version of the smart form and not just the default.

Attempting to change layer names and pop ups in versions of the map opened AFTER the smart form was created did not result in any loss of progress.

Do you think this might have been what you did as well? its a painful lesson to learn 😞

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I could have made the same mistake, I will have to do some further testing to see if that is what I did. I really appreciate you posting your questions and discoveries, I am somewhat new to Esri and I need as much help as I can get 🙂

0 Kudos
Sstowel
New Contributor

I have lost so many Field Maps form edits and I realized that you have to close out ALL Esri apps besides Field Maps to give yourself a small chance that things might save correctly. This means closing ArcMap, ArcPro, Web Maps, and the Field Maps app on a tablet or phone. seriously, the only thing you can have open is field maps and even then it might delete all your changes. So frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Gowan
New Contributor II

It's certainly understandable that having various copies of the map open would cause issues. I've always created smart forms within a web map and not Field Maps. Never had an issue. 

0 Kudos